Install Question/Problem

Participant count
  • Participant list

DragonCub
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
New York
I just got finished doing my install. I think I might have a problem, the subs are not hitting as hard or loud as I thought they would. I got 2 Apline Type R (12") hooked up to a Hifonices Nemesis NX-750D at 1 ohm. Both subs are in seperate enclosure, the enclosures are cylinders about 1^3 ft each.

I think I have the amp setting done right. But I can put the gains all the way up on the amp at full volume with out a problem (this can't be right). What could be the problem? Also how do I check to see if there any any leaks in the enclosures? At high volume I kinda hear a hissing sound, maybe air leaking?

oh and my stock speakers are hooked up to a Hifonics Zeus ZX4400. These stock speakers are loud with the gains at the lowest settings. btw: I'm using a laptop to test the all the speakers not a HU.

Please help.

I'm going out a limb saying the laptop is the problem... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

air leaking could be the problem, try taking the subs out and sealing the enclosure with some type of sealent, but be sure if you use silicon based sealant that you let the silicon dry fully before you put the subs back in.
I put sealant all around the joints. The only place I didn't put the sealant was on the ring where the sub sits, but the sub fits very tight in the rings. I can't figure it out, I'm pretty sure I wired it right also, all the positives are connected together and all the negetives are connected together.

I'm going out a limb saying the laptop is the problem... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif
I don't think thats the problems because the rest of the speakers are running just fine.

I wouldn't say the laptop is the problem persay, but you aren't giving them enough power, they are waaaaay underrated, I'm running my single type-r at 1200 watts rms, but I wouldn't recommend that much power in those enclosures. It sounds like you have sealed enclosures, from my experience the type-r's don't sound nearly as good in sealed. Go ported and they will get lower, sound better, and be louder //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif.

whoa, whoa, you mean positive to positive and negative to negative from amp to the subs right? You shouldn't have any wires from sub to sub
This is how I have the subs connected to the amp, see pic. I'm pretty sure this is right.

The amp also has connections on it to connect the two subs seperatly, but I didn't know how to connect the subs seperatly at 1 ohm. I hope I have the wiring right.

subwiring5wz.jpg

I just got finished doing my install. I think I might have a problem, the subs are not hitting as hard or loud as I thought they would. I got 2 Apline Type R (12") hooked up to a Hifonices Nemesis NX-750D at 1 ohm. Both subs are in seperate enclosure, the enclosures are cylinders about 1^3 ft each.
I think I have the amp setting done right. But I can put the gains all the way up on the amp at full volume with out a problem (this can't be right). What could be the problem? Also how do I check to see if there any any leaks in the enclosures? At high volume I kinda hear a hissing sound, maybe air leaking?

oh and my stock speakers are hooked up to a Hifonics Zeus ZX4400. These stock speakers are loud with the gains at the lowest settings. btw: I'm using a laptop to test the all the speakers not a HU.

Please help.
Sound like an air leak

I know this isnt the best way to test for air leaks but it works for me. First are the Type R's in the same box/chamber or are they separated? If they are separated, put the subs back into the box, and screw them down. With the subs securly in the box, press in the center of the cone (not to much but enough to move the sub down) then let your hand off. If the sub comes back up very slow then your box is sealed good, if it moves back up fast re-seal the whole box. Also if they are in one box together but separated by a devider make sure that when you press on one sub that the other sub doesnt move. If it moves the center devider needs re sealing.

ok, I re checked every wire and it all looks fine, epect for the power wire being a little loose on the amp. Then I took of the ground and sanded some to get better contact with the car. And guess what it's louder now. I still think there is a mall air leak in the right sub, I'll look at it tomorrow. Also do you guys think that the subs might need to be broken in a little more for them to get the louder? I think I've only ran them for a couple of hours.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.