Infinity ?'s

BDIDDY
10+ year member

Sittin' Slick
Tennessee
I was gonna upgrade my front stage and install some 3.5's to go along with my MOMO comp. set. I was wondering which line of infinity I should get. Are the Kappa's worth 35$ more than the references? Do your infinity's distort?

Thanks alot for the help...

Look at CDT. I have experience with the reference and the CDT cl-61a's and the cdt's are a world of difference. Infinity tweeters are very, very harsh. CDT's will sound much better.

I think he's talking 3.5" for the Infinity's. Most all 3.5s are a waste of money. They will most likely detract from the sound of your front stage. Save your money.

Yeah I already have a comp set I was just looking into raising my front stage a tad. I had another friend tell me not to get the 3.5's also, abcdefg, so I think I will save my money. Any other suggestions to get a tad bit more front stage? I will probably be running them off of my HU BTW...

Thanks for the help

I use 3.5's to raise my sound stage also. I run them off the HU front channels. I had Kappas first, and killed one with too much bass. References probably would have blown even sooner.

I also found that the Kappas were too bright on some music (cymbals heavy stuff like Kid Rock). After blowing the Kappas I switched to Boston Acoustics FX3's. MUCH better (trust me on this dude). I also now have 2 ohm resistors in series with them to limit the power a bit. They still perform their intended purpose and sound outstanding.

I have Infinity Kappa 6.5" components in the front and kappa 6x9s in the rear, the tweeters on the components are a little harsh, and they could use a little more mid-bass, but if I bring the bass up a little and the treble down a little, they sound great run off my Nakamichi HU with Sony amp. The 6x9s are great for rear fill. And they get REALLY loud before they distort, but I'm running ..supposedly 75w rms to each.

I haven't haven't had any reference series before, so I can't comment on those, but I like my kappas, I've had them for almost 2 years now probably and have them cranked pretty much all the time and they can take it. I have them crossed over at 50hz I think, and I can crank the bass boost to them and have never had a problem..

Yeah I already have a comp set I was just looking into raising my front stage a tad. I had another friend tell me not to get the 3.5's also, abcdefg, so I think I will save my money. Any other suggestions to get a tad bit more front stage? I will probably be running them off of my HU BTW...

Thanks for the help
Try putting an amp on those components instead of running them off the hu, you should notice a difference.

I use 3.5's to raise my sound stage also. I run them off the HU front channels. I had Kappas first, and killed one with too much bass. References probably would have blown even sooner.
I also found that the Kappas were too bright on some music (cymbals heavy stuff like Kid Rock). After blowing the Kappas I switched to Boston Acoustics FX3's. MUCH better (trust me on this dude). I also now have 2 ohm resistors in series with them to limit the power a bit. They still perform their intended purpose and sound outstanding.

Yeah I just wanted to be able to crank my comp set without having to worry about distortion or anything. I think the 3.5's will do the trick I just have to find the ones you are talking about. Also, what about bass blockers instead of the resistors, any comment on those?

fv04as- I have a small MTX amp running my comps for now, they are just fine. I just wanted to be able to do what I metioned above.

Thanks all for the help.

If all you want to be able to do is turn it up louder without distortion, then you are trying to go about it the wrong way. You would probably see better results by getting a larger amp to run your front stage and playing with the crossover frequency to limit the bass going to the front speakers. More power will get you louder and a higher crossover frequency will help the speakers handle the higher power without distortion.

Yeah I just wanted to be able to crank my comp set without having to worry about distortion or anything. I think the 3.5's will do the trick I just have to find the ones you are talking about. Also, what about bass blockers instead of the resistors, any comment on those?
I used 75Hz bass blockers on my new speakers after blowing one of the Kappas. After a month one of the Bostons also fried. Pissed me off. Then I added an inductor too (for 12 dB/octave hipass) and still blew another speaker. Grrrr.

However, my 3.5's are on top of the dash and the Summer sun through the windshield really heats them up, which reduces their power handling capability. Maybe 150Hz would've been better.. but the resistors solved the problem completely.

BTW I got the Boston's from the local Tweeter store. Brought the blown speaker back to the store and they handed me another one. Twice. Gotta love retail warantees.

Alright I'll figure something out. I may try to mess with my gains a little on my amp or something. My crossover's don't really have that many options with them so there is no telling of what I can do with them.

Thanks alot for all of the help.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.