Infinity Kappa capabilities

Dbraves8

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have 4 infinity kappa 6x8s 100 rms each. They read right at 2.5 ohms. Amp is a audio legion 110.4 capable of 185x4@2ohms and 110x4@4 ohms.

Question is how many rms over rated can I run with no clipping. Plan to set gains with DMM and using -2.5db 1khz tone and o scope to confirm no clipping.

Thanks for the help.

If you have to ask, you probably have no business trying to over-power those speakers. If they're components you will probably break the mid/woofer mechanically and if they're coaxial you will likely burn up the tweeter. The difference between 80W (safe) and 110W (possibly blowing **** up) will be inaudible. You are gaining nothing but trouble trying to redline things.

You should be able to hear when things start sounding stressed. Use some common sense and those Infinity's should get plenty loud without putting you in a place where you're destroying things.

I have 4 infinity kappa 6x8s 100 rms each. They read right at 2.5 ohms. Amp is a audio legion 110.4 capable of 185x4@2ohms and 110x4@4 ohms.

Question is how many rms over rated can I run with no clipping. Plan to set gains with DMM and using -2.5db 1khz tone and o scope to confirm no clipping.

Thanks for the help.

My 2¢ - 14.4v @ 2ohms is 100w.

I would use a -5db tone and set the voltage on the amp to 15v. This should keep you at or near 120w @ 2.5ohm and I doubt there will be any clipping. Should be pretty clean. Just remember, that is on a tone that you are hitting those wattage's with, on music you will safely be using 85 - 100w 99% of the time if you play it LOUD.

My 2¢ - 14.4v @ 2ohms is 100w.

I would use a -5db tone and set the voltage on the amp to 15v. This should keep you at or near 120w @ 2.5ohm and I doubt there will be any clipping. Should be pretty clean. Just remember, that is on a tone that you are hitting those wattage's with, on music you will safely be using 85 - 100w 99% of the time if you play it LOUD.

I know everyone has their own way of setting gains. But I've never understood using a tone to set your stage amp. For sub amps, yes I totally get it. It's playing a limited range, and music is extremely variable in how much bass it has. But excluding 100hz and below, music is pretty consistent.

I personally set my stage amp by ear. I have more than enough power, so I'm setting my gain to my listening level. I guess I can understand using a tone to make sure you aren't clipping, but at the same time it would be better to use pink noise to set your stage amp rather than a 1khz tone if you are trying to be safe.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...