Infinite Baffle and/or ported for front trunk

Participant count
  • Participant list

adulbrich
5,000+ posts

Olive oil un-virginer
Ames, Iowa
Hey, I got my XS D3100 yesterday and am about to start on my box.

I have a 1986 Pontiac Fiero. It was my first car and I love it, but has been difficult to put subs in. I recently removed the dash, AC, spare tire, jack, and heater. The front trunk is now empty except for the brake cylinder that I cannot remove/relocate. I'll post pictures in a few minutes.

There is a large hole between the front trunk and cabin area. I was considering a few different options:

1. Make a ported box. This would be extremely difficult and time consuming because the space is odly shaped. I would also have to use an external aeroport.

2. Put a baffel where the dash was, leaving the back open to the trunk. This would be the easiest option and I have heard a lot about the sound quality of IB.

3. I think this is a new idea, so I'm not sure it would work... Make an infinite baffel setup and port it with 6" PVC. I could change the length of the pipe inside the trunk and add elbow joints. If I went this way, i would buy a car kit of Q-mat and sound deaden the trunk.

For this build I'll be using my Sundown X-10 powered by my Visonik v4000xd (same board as MA HK4000D). I will be upgrading to two Z4 12's or Ermagerd 12's in about a month or so. I'd really not like to build another box for them.

If you have any IB experience or thoughts on my options, I'd appreciate your help. Thanks!

IMG_20140625_094617_126_zpse9c38d75.jpg

IMG_20140625_094713_572_zps25bea2a1.jpg

IMG_20140618_131248_752_zpsfca0d302.jpg

remove passenger seat and built a box where the seat was

or

just put in a really good head unit , wiring , battery , 4 channel amp , and have some really nice kick panels made with 8" in them

do 6.5 " in the doors

1" tweets in the a pillar

call it day

remove passenger seat and built a box where the seat was
or

just put in a really good head unit , wiring , battery , 4 channel amp , and have some really nice kick panels made with 8" in them

do 6.5 " in the doors

1" tweets in the a pillar

call it day
I am getting 6.5's, tweets, and a 4 channel amp later. I think my headunit is pretty good. I had an SA 8 V2 in a ported box, but it wasn't loud enough.

I used to have a 15 in a ported box on the passenger side. It was loud, but I wanted to be able to have a passenger, so I took it out.

I know you're really knowlegable, but I really want the most bass I can get out of this car.

I did google Pontiac Fiero subwoofer boxes

when the results came up I chose images

there was some cool stuff to draw ideas from

try it if you have not already

I am not a fan of a sub woofer in front of me

so I think the center console removal and re-build would be the direction I would go

maybe 1 really nice 10" that works sealed , and toss 1500 watts at it

and just build up the front stage

I did google Pontiac Fiero subwoofer boxes
when the results came up I chose images

there was some cool stuff to draw ideas from

try it if you have not already

I am not a fan of a sub woofer in front of me

so I think the center console removal and re-build would be the direction I would go

maybe 1 really nice 10" that works sealed , and toss 1500 watts at it

and just build up the front stage
My first build was two type R 10's in a sealed box between the seats where the center console was.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.