In the mood to help a NOOB?

HHR

Fresno
A few months ago I realized I was getting no sound on the left front speaker, figured I had blown it cuz I like m'stuff loud! But then, discovering that the rear left wasn't making noise either, decided it was more likely a connection/wiring problem. When I isolate the speakers, via fade and balance, to see which ones are working, I typically use my left and right arrow buttons... but when the hubby did it, he used the dial. 'Supposedly' the problem was there, and once he spun it back and forth a few times, clearly 'the gunk' or whatever, I had sound on the left side again. For about a week. Now it's gone... again... and no spinning of the dial or whatever brings it back, time to have it fixed/looked at. Sooo... this morning while at the body shop for other stuff, I asked for a referral for a good car audio place, we got to talking... bottom line, both the guy at the body shop AND the guy at the audio place said that it's probably the stereo itself? And that I will probably need to replace my sound system, not just get some wire/connection fixed. Apparently it's a techie thing that's common in car stereos these days, and so they just replace the whole thing? And apparently Chevy is one of the worst offenders, with their stock radios? I just want to know if anyone 'in the know' can confirm or deny all of this before I have to spend (hundreds?) on what I thought was a minor issue. If I am doomed to buying new stuff, suggestions for that, price ranges, any help, would be very much appreciated. And yes, I will be doing the research, myself, while also waiting to see what y'all have to say! Thank you!! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

No experience with this deck, but is it possible to maybe get some electronics contact cleaner and spray it in the pot/buttons? Might clean ur connections enough... is the car warramtied by chance? If not, and ur looking to go back stock, try a junkyard, I'm guessing that will be way cheaper then the dealership....

Also post up an add in the wanted section on these forums, maybe someone has a stock deck they can sell u cheap.... ?

Thanks, (guys?)... some good ideas, I really appreciate it! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Pleasedon'tclusterparagraphstogetheroritwilllooklikeonelongrunonsentenceandmakesithardtoread.
Don't listen to people like this, they offer no help whatsoever. ^

If you haven't figured it out yet, and you want to keep the stock radio definitely try a junkyard for a cheap one. Dealerships will charge you like no tomorrow for a new one, even if it is an old car.

lol... notlikei'veneverusedtheinternetbefore. dude,youhavelike,what,TWOmorepostsherethanIdo?yertheexpert,man

akillj... thanks, that's starting to sound more and more like a plan! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

lol... notlikei'veneverusedtheinternetbefore. dude,youhavelike,what,TWOmorepostsherethanIdo?yertheexpert,man
akillj... thanks, that's starting to sound more and more like a plan! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
I have a stock Chevy stereo that came out of my '99 Silverado boxed up. What make/model vehicle? If you end up needing an upgrade there's plenty of good ppl on here that can walk you through putting it in.

If its that common an issue on your vehicle, id replace with a very basic aftermarket unit. Jvc makes some solid budget units kenwood is decent alpines are great dont get a budget pioneer you will probably get noise from it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.