In need of another EE major...

Participant count
  • Participant list
I figured as long as I'm going to browse these forums, I might as well ask the difficult questions since everyone else seems to be hung up on, "wut om du i use", and such...

I have a semi broken amplifier. It's a TiS audio (see sig), which apparently doesn't even have a website or any number I could contact for support... Anyway, it's a standard cheap knockoff amp that doesn't even perform close to what the box would have you think. It's marked as a 2500 watt amp, but the peak is closer to 1300. I knew it was cheap when I bought it, and rather expected it to fail prematurely so I babied it, but the teenager inside got the best of me and... one day, in the middle of --january-- I decided to show off a little bit, and turned it up all the way. Now, only one channel outputs an audio signal. the other channel outputs a nice constant 44.3v DC... My question is, what particular components inside of the amplifier are blown, and why didn't the fuses blow when I overdrove the amp? And besides that, why did only one channel fail? Why does the other still work? I'm thinking that the cold temperatures made the output transistors weak and the sudden temperature spike caused them to buckle. In my experience, cheap components don't deal well with sudden temperature changes, and it was roughly 20 degrees when I pulled this stupid stunt. I just want to make sure I'm right on this before I shell out my christmas wad for some transistors.

Since the output of the amplifier is equal to the supply voltage after the dc-dc converter steps it up, I'm sure that the power supply is intact at least. (in fact, after inspecting the internals a little more thoroughly, it seems as though each channel has its own power supply. That might be why the other channel didn't blow along with the first.) I'm just hoping that the only problem with the output stage is the transistors, and I'm not going to have to replace every component down the line. Is there any way that I can test this? All I have for testing equipment is a Fluke multimeter. (Still haven't gotten around to building that oscilloscope...) Any input is appreciated. (This thing is a nightmare...)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.