In depth port/sub direction

Participant count
  • Participant list

pimpnyou204
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Ok I was doing some reading on this on a bunch of different forums and articles and found these two.

Aiming Part 2

Aiming your subwoofer box

Now with being said, obviously the type of vehicle is going to play a difference but i found this all interesting. It all tends to be true because before i started doing ports. I was doing a lot of sealed boxes and walling the majority of my car off was the loudest but subs to the rear was always more boomy and bass responsive. But with these tests they did how accurate could they be? With such a small box you dont have to worry about waves being 'choked' in the trunk with large rear firing subs and they havent experimented with walled trunks since then all waves would be firing forward then.

Now on to the next part if you brought a port into the equation how would that effect the situation? Obviously if you werent going to wall off your trunk where would the best port location be if you were to do rear firing? Now correct me if im wrong here but the port is just an extension of the subs (if you put your head to the port u still hear feint tones.) Wouldnt subs rear port rear give the absolute least canelation or is the sound pretty much a echo(?) and wave lengths wouldnt play a part? Therefore with a aero port ported out of the box and into the cabin (with an elbow as the sub firing directly into the port wouldnt be good) be the best as its more of a wind (if that made any sense?) Because if it was creating more wavelengths it would be canceling out if it was side ported no?

Sorry if this was confusing in anyway just kind of found all this to be very interesting and wondered if anyone has done any playing around with any of these situations and seen a difference.

ok basically the guy in the links did tests on how sound waves react to different box placement (subs rear fired and front fired.) My questions are..

How would that relate to a much larger box in a trunk rear fired? (how big is too big for a trunk)

How would walling off a trunk of a car work in the tests? Because walling off would have no cancellation as all the waves would be straight forward and nothing going to the rear.

Port questions-

Do ports give out sound waves and if so which way would be best to put them? If they gave out waves wouldnt it be best to put them on the same location as the subs so theres no cancellation?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.