Impedance and wattage question

Participant count
  • Participant list

DJSEVEN
10+ year member

Ok so I hope I can make sense out of what is going on.

I have 2 (dual 2)12" TC Sounds 3000's with neo motors on a Crunch 3000d-pro at .5 ohm.

I just put everything into my new Aerio SX AWD.

I am running the original factory Bat and a Kinetic 2400 in the rear.

Factory ALT.

I just got my one sub back from being reconed because I burnt out one of the coils (charred)

so, when I really turn up the volume, only on one sub, it makes a loud popping sound like the sub is extending too far, but my other sub does just fine!!!

My question is that does one sub get more power to it than the other one

The way i have it wired is the amp has 4 terminals (its mono of course) but I am only using 1 of the terminals 1 pos 1 neg to my box terminals...then the terminals Parallel out to each sub.

left 1 neg 1 pos = 1 12" ++ right 1 neg 1 pos = 1 12"

Am i wiring it correct or should i be using all 4 terminals on the amp (the amp says on it - + / + -) and i am picking the 2 that says MONO on them.

Am i doing this correctly and does on sub get more power than the other?

Thank you!!!

Thats what I am thinking but my laft sub hits way harder than the right..

I metered the amp wires out and its showing .6 and I did the battery test to check polarities and all is ok...i am scratching my head!!

Maybe the amp is jacked up???

box1.jpg

box with high tuned port pic

So, one sub was reconed or both were done at the same time? If they were done seperately then one has soft suspension. The most likely cause of the charred coil is running the amp to clipping which creates a DC current output. If both subs were reconed at the same time it would seem that maybe the coil is cocked and rubbing the pole piece or the motor side of the gap. A broken or loose triple joint will also cause this.

Only one was reconed. My original sub is still going strong (2yrs) and my 2nd sub is the one that went and reconed! it is stiff as hell (only 2 days old recone)

Would clipping also cause a loud popping noise? almost as if the dust cap is getting hit.

What causes clipping? is it not enough juice?

The gain doesnt matter. Once you exceed the amps maximum clean output it will clip. The best way to check your amp for clipping is to use an oscilloscope. Also, if you turn up the head unit till it clips the amplifier wll then put out a clipped signal(garbage in/garbage out). Which sub "pops" the old one or the new one?

Call your local car audio shops or talk to local competitors, someone is bound to have one. The best way to check is to put the O-scope on your RCA'a and turn up the headunit till you see clipping then down till your just barely under the point of clipping. I test at 15-80Hz in 5 frequency steps. Then connect the RCA's to the amp and connect the O-scope to the speaker leads out of the amp(no subs connected) then turn the gain up till you see clipping. Then turn the gain down to just under clipping and your set. Now you know you maximum clean output. For SLP we have found the best score comes with just the slightest amount of clipping. If the new sub is popping I would say either the coil is rubbing, the triple joint is broken or someone didnt remove the coil gap shim before gluing the dust cap on.

cool thank you for all your help. Its nice to know that there are people willing to answer questions without saying things to make you feel stupid!

I appreciate it! I just contacted Patrick at RU and he wants me to send a video of this!

I have one last non related question!

I have a new lcd dvd head unit (i wont mention brand because people will laugh) but anyway, it has 2 rca front, 2 rca rear and 1 single rca sub outputs.

I have the rear only connected! Should I have Y cabled the single sub output and used that? or even Y out both front and rear from 4 to 2 (left/right) and run into my amp? any advice is appreciated!

thanks

I would run the sub amp off the sub output from the headunit. Use a good high end splitter and cable. I hope this info helps you. My name is Eric, I am a member of Team Neo. Check us out on Termpro.com under competitor stats, team neo, or on our website teamneospl.com.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.