Imaging tweeter placement

Participant count
  • Participant list

bubbagumper6
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
The D
So I've got a set of CDT comps that include imaging tweeters in addition to the normal tweeters. Now the instructions they came with recommend you mount them at the top of the A-pillar facing down the windshield...this isn't ideal for me as I'm trying to retain a stock look and don't want to have to deal with coming up with a mounting option there.

My main question is, since I'm removing the center speaker from the dash, could I just build a baffle to hold the two imaging tweeters there? They would be under the stock speaker grill so not visible but I'm sure there's probably a good amount of room in there so I could angle them as desired...

This would be the ideal mounting location for me but if I'm going to sacrifice sound quality I'll just figure out how to mount them where they're supposed to go and deal with being able to see them.

I have my tweets on the dab facing up towards the windshield and imaging tweets up top in the corner facining towards the dash. I'll take apic later

Imaging or "upstage" tweeters are for stage height. As such... they should to be at ear level and crossed very high. They are JUST for height and "air" or spaciousness.

But HF still contains stereo information. So, no... installing them in the center channel spot isn't the best idea. A full range driver is more suited to center channel duty.

With all of that said though... if the other tweeters can cover the top end of the spectrum, are near ear level and/or you don't have a stage height problem... you don't HAVE to use them.

But if you're set on using them and want to try them in the center channel spot, there is a pretty precise center to center distance they need to be apart to be utilized properly in that alignment. Mr. Patrick Bateman goes into mid boggling depth about it here...

Anyone Tried Using One Tweeter? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

So I've got a set of CDT comps that include imaging tweeters in addition to the normal tweeters. Now the instructions they came with recommend you mount them at the top of the A-pillar facing down the windshield...this isn't ideal for me as I'm trying to retain a stock look and don't want to have to deal with coming up with a mounting option there.
My main question is, since I'm removing the center speaker from the dash, could I just build a baffle to hold the two imaging tweeters there? They would be under the stock speaker grill so not visible but I'm sure there's probably a good amount of room in there so I could angle them as desired...

This would be the ideal mounting location for me but if I'm going to sacrifice sound quality I'll just figure out how to mount them where they're supposed to go and deal with being able to see them.
They have the mounting solution built in. Your WS-100i tweeters should have included double sided tape. The tape goes on the flat of the tweeter housing. The tweeter gets tucked up at the junction of the top of the A-pillar and the top edge of the windshield. They won't be visible from outside the vehicle and they're hardly noticeable by passengers. Do NOT put them in your center speaker area. It will collapse your sound stage and sound terrible.

ws100iimagingtweeter.jpg

Ok, looks like I got my answer. Thanks gents //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Patrick's thread is interesting.

I gave ita shot with my tweets, think i lack the processing and relative speaker location to make it work.

There were pros and cons, more cons with my attempt though

Patrick's thread is interesting.I gave ita shot with my tweets, think i lack the processing and relative speaker location to make it work.

There were pros and cons, more cons with my attempt though
Patrick Bateman doesn't always experiment himself with some of the crazy ideas he posts. The tweeter sphere thread went on and on without him trying the concept, but that may have changed by now. Fortunately that idea actually works, as I found out, but I abandoned it. There's a reason the same kinds of installation techniques and speaker locations keep getting repeated. A long time ago people figured out what works because they were the first to do it in cars.

Patrick Bateman doesn't always experiment himself with some of the crazy ideas he posts. The tweeter sphere thread went on and on without him trying the concept, but that may have changed by now. Fortunately that idea actually works, as I found out, but I abandoned it. There's a reason the same kinds of installation techniques and speaker locations keep getting repeated. A long time ago people figured out what works because they were the first to do it in cars.
True all day

he didn't need to try the "concept" of spheres because others before him did. he just highlighted an application in car audio. i still use spheres because the tweeters i've used all sounded a lot better in them than any other pod/mount/ i could try. but they look goofy to some. even my home speakers have tweeter spheres on them.

with this tweeter in this location, i'm very happy overall.

accordmille008.jpg

i can say that i've never tried this location

ws100iimagingtweeter.jpg

but the success to be had with a tweeter off-axis depends on it's response off-axis. when relying on reflections, you want to avoid direct sound.

here is where i have mine, any suggestions where i should put my normal tweets, i have my imaging on the at the top, but where should i put my normal tweets for the best sound

A_7Dc96xUXAexqkJUbWKF9BjZNnwUUqN9QXM7thAF3U=w1277-h481-no

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.