Iginition wire to head unit is not getting any power

Participant count
  • Participant list

GreatGeak
10+ year member

Missouri
So I was fiddling around with my car (camry 05) adding a cool little light to it.

I choose the ignition wire of the radio as the one I would splice into, that way the light would go off when the car did. Everything went fine and dandy until now, everything worked for the first couple tries, and now neither the radio nor my light works.

I bothered to troubleshoot it down, and taking both my light and radio out of the equation, my ignition wire is not getting ANY power.

Could I have blown a fuse maybe? I looked at practically every fuse under the steering wheel, behind the head unit and under the hood. It's possible I missed one, but at this point I'm frustrated to hell.

Any help gents?

Def sounds like a fuse to me. Check every single one. In my car there's like 8 fuses if blown the head unit wont work. I was screwing around with my headunit and blew a fuse that I found in the engine bay klabeled back up lights. Just check every single one. Don't worry about it too much it deft sounds like a fuse.

Right on...probably not to hard...but I mean...I've checked both fuse boxes, could it be a stray one? Like specific to that wire?

I mean...I could be digging around in this car for days and not find the right fuse. The manual wasn't very helpful either.

Are any of your lights or anything else out?

Check literally every single fuse regardless of what the manual says its for.

Also check the fuse on the back of the headunit.

Finally if all ur fuses are good in the engine bay, under the dash, and on the head unit, take the head unit out and test it outside the car. Maybe its the headunit itself?

right...it technically isn't the ignition wire...like kinda...but it goes to the radio. So technically it's more like the wire that gives the radio power after it turns on.

But I swear, I'm wiring up a remote start now...and I've blown something else...this time it's one of the regular fuses, cause I can't for the life of me find it...but then again...this sounds like deja vu.

right...it technically isn't the ignition wire...like kinda...but it goes to the radio. So technically it's more like the wire that gives the radio power after it turns on.But I swear, I'm wiring up a remote start now...and I've blown something else...this time it's one of the regular fuses, cause I can't for the life of me find it...but then again...this sounds like deja vu.
Actually, the ignition wire would be more desirable as it can handle significantly more current. Regardless, I would still fuse the wire to the lights itself.

As for the remote start, if you're having lots of problems grounding things out, pull the negative on your battery while installing. Then reconnect afterwards.

always disconnect your battery when doing electrical work. if u dont u blow ****. ur like the master fuse destroyer. lmao
Oh you have NO idea. Even disconnecting the battery and I've still gone through fuses like water. It's kind of hard to test out a new connection without the battery...you plug it back in and boom, blown fuse. You fix the connection and no problem...but go through 3 or so fuses getting to that point.

These guys at the local Carquest probably think I'm freaking insane.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.