Idmax true rms

Eggs

Jan 3, 2015
Hawaii
I cam across a lot blown idmax recone threads and seem they can’t handle power? I purchased blown sub and measured voice coil @ 2” which should be more a 700w sub like w6 or type R?

• Wow
Reactions: OldFartAudio

Clifff150

Senior VIP Member
Jan 10, 2012
Texas
I’ve seen them take rated so I’m guessing it’s user error. I will admit that I don’t think ID equipment can take much abuse though (personal dealings).

OP
E

Eggs

Jan 3, 2015
Hawaii
Thanks for the personal experience with their products. Now I gotta figure out what kind of box to build for them.

OP
E

Eggs

Jan 3, 2015
Hawaii
Looking into a recone and Oem stuff is pretty expensive @180 bux. Goin see if Fix my speaker/PSI audio can make it more durable with precision econowind voice.

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Sep 10, 2009
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
You think a custom recone will dramatically change the sound?
Yes, and for the worse. ID recommends 500W for them for a reason, and that's that they're built to perform well there and your 2" coil will be efficient in that power range but will melt down as you push it beyond that.

If you plan to drive IDMax any harder than 500W your recone budget would be better spent on a sub that can handle the power you're trying to feed it.

OP
E

Eggs

Jan 3, 2015
Hawaii
Yes, and for the worse. ID recommends 500W for them for a reason, and that's that they're built to perform well there and your 2" coil will be efficient in that power range but will melt down as you push it beyond that.

If you plan to drive IDMax any harder than 500W your recone budget would be better spent on a sub that can handle the power you're trying to feed it.
Thanks, I wanted to see if they could increase the thermal capacity.

Hispl, do have any recommendations sub similar to idmax? Right now I have 2 idmax and re audio xxx (xbl2).

Jeffdachef

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
Feb 5, 2013
South Coast Metro, CA
Thanks, I wanted to see if they could increase the thermal capacity.

Hispl, do have any recommendations sub similar to idmax? Right now I have 2 idmax and re audio xxx (xbl2).
turn that xxx into an 18 or 15.

The goal here is to sound good and get loud right? Not to throw a **** ton of power to a sub for the sake of saying the sub can handle the power. Efficiency and box design should be the main focus, not the power handling. You can push a **** ton of air on just 500 watts.

OP
E

Eggs

Jan 3, 2015
Hawaii
turn that xxx into an 18 or 15.

The goal here is to sound good and get loud right? Not to throw a **** ton of power to a sub for the sake of saying the sub can handle the power. Efficiency and box design should be the main focus, not the power handling. You can push a **** ton of air on just 500 watts.
Yup that’s the goal. Where can buy 12 spoke baskets?

Also what amps good efficient amp? Looking at brutal sounds 2.1 running it @2 ohms.

MattinMO

Senior VIP Member
Dec 31, 2017
St.louis, MO

V.3 &v.4 are rated at 1000rms not sure where you’re getting that they recommend 500 from

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Sep 10, 2009
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
not sure where you’re getting that they recommend 500 from
I wanted to see if they could increase the thermal capacity.
No, or not significantly. A coil is a coil and it's likely ID already uses a good quality American made coil, one that's sized appropriately for the gap, and one that gives the expected performance. There's no magic fairy dust that (insert meme parts re-seller here) is going to sprinkle on a coil to make it survive too much heat. In my experience the only thing that doesn't really matter is the cone but for suspension and coil you absolutely must use the exact same thing if you want the same performance.

IDMax is a fantastic sounding woofer and will really shine if you're working with a 500-600W amp. If that's not going to be loud enough and you need to get louder with more power as opposed to sacrificing more space you need to decide how much power (and still how much space you want to use) and work from there. My rule on power handling is if you have to ask and/or you absolutely don't care if you blow stuff up do not try to run more power than recommended to speakers.

Keep in mind that in perfect conditions (ie. never going to happen in real life) you would gain +3dB from doubling power for reference that's about two clicks on the typical volume knob on a head unit. Bear that in mind when you consider what it all is really worth to try to jump into a 1200W amp and 1200W capable woofer.

mastershake575

Senior VIP Member
Mar 11, 2015
Dallas

No, or not significantly. A coil is a coil and it's likely ID already uses a good quality American made coil, one that's sized appropriately for the gap, and one that gives the expected performance. There's no magic fairy dust that (insert meme parts re-seller here) is going to sprinkle on a coil to make it survive too much heat. In my experience the only thing that doesn't really matter is the cone but for suspension and coil you absolutely must use the exact same thing if you want the same performance.

IDMax is a fantastic sounding woofer and will really shine if you're working with a 500-600W amp. If that's not going to be loud enough and you need to get louder with more power as opposed to sacrificing more space you need to decide how much power (and still how much space you want to use) and work from there. My rule on power handling is if you have to ask and/or you absolutely don't care if you blow stuff up do not try to run more power than recommended to speakers.

Keep in mind that in perfect conditions (ie. never going to happen in real life) you would gain +3dB from doubling power for reference that's about two clicks on the typical volume knob on a head unit. Bear that in mind when you consider what it all is really worth to try to jump into a 1200W amp and 1200W capable woofer.
good post. The whole purpose of subs like the ID Max, JBL WGTI, jl w6, alpine x, incriminator flatline, ssa hellion, DD 2500 series......ect is to offer a great blend of sound quality and efficiency on 500 to 700 watt setups

The problem is people try to treat these subs like SPL subs when they're not. Throwing a bunch of sloppy power at in efficient well-crafted sub is pointless, the whole point of them is that you don't have to just throw raw power at them

They're popular for people who like better sound quality and especially those that don't want to invest heavily in electrical upgrades

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)

Trending Topics