Idiot or Genius or Just Plain Crazy

ArcaneParadise
10+ year member

Okay. So this is what I have to work with. A 1999 Dodge Ram Sport with a 5.9L V8, 260HP, 350 Torque, and 5500 pounds. Does this truck roar? Yes. Is this car really fast? Sorry, but no. So. I am thinking of moding my truck and giving it the works. Here is my plan of action:

1. Install an ATI Procharger supercharger

2. K&N Intake

3. Performance Chip

4. NOS

5. 22-24" Racing Tires.

6. 2 White Viper Racing Stripes straight down the center.

In the end, with installation and everything I am looking at about 7,500 dollars and 750 horsepower with everything activated. With weight and HP and some other factors into account, I'll have a truck with about a 11.5 Second Quarter Mile. To me, that is insane and it will be the funnest, fastest, coolest **** truck in town. Some people think I am stupid for doing it but I think it is genius. When I rev the engine in my 5500lb. truck next to a Corvette, he will think I am joking. However, when he gets to take a really nice look at my back personalized license plate, I think that will wipe the smile straight off his face. Tell me what you guys think. You can take a look at my truck at the link in my signiture. In my opinion even right now it looks pretty darn cool.

Well it would sound good- I just hope you plan to upgrade the Pistons, Rods, heads, crank, cam, main bearings, main seals, and transmission first.

The Chip would work fine with the standard block.

The Supercharger would work fine with the standard block, depending on boost.

The Nos would work fine to a certain point on the standard block.

All three or even a combination of 2 together would likely yeid nothing more than a boom.

Most standard production blocks are good for arround 400Hp, anything over this; and they tend to run into some problems.

Have a look into some of the components necessary to run the forced induction first, less you run into several problems in the future.

take it easy,

-zane

i do agree with zane 100% the pistons and such could take some of those things but not all of them combined well it might but not for very long if yer runnin it hard

Just curious as to what type of fuel system you will be upgrading to too with the added air flow? What type of ECU control interfaces and modulators? Being fuel injected, can pose a few other issues. Everything has to go through the ECU, the injectors and Pressure regulator will likely have to be upgraded, as well as the fuel pump. If memory serves- the new 360 design uses a rail MPI fuel delivery system, it is also possible that the rails will need to be upgraded. Fuel lines as well to accomodate the extra pressure-etc. Cooling system, lower temp thermostat, hi-flow water pump, transmission cooler, etc etc. A lot needs to be done before NOS, or Supercharching should be attempted. The NOS is the one to worry most about, as it can cause complete detonation very easily if not monitored and controled correctly. Forged Pistons and Connecting Rods , as well as Valves usually aid Nitrous quite a bit-as they are a little more durable.

Just a basic rule of auto maintenance

If you add more air- you have to compensate by adding more fuel

If you add more fuel- you have to compensate by adding more air.

If you add more electronics, you have to compensate by adding an interface with the cars own ECU.

Finally, Do Pistons before NOS, not after. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Allright- car performance is something I could talk about all day, however, this isnt a place for a book- so I will stop. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

take it easy,

-zane

Oh dear... I have a lot to learn about cars before I start modding. I thought it was going to be a 1-2-3 type procedure. Looks like it will be a LOT more complicated than I earlier anticipated. Grr... You always have to ruin my fun. =D Well... I think I'll hold off on the NOS but I want to do all of the other things. What do I need to do just for a supercharger again?

Originally posted by blackgeltabs superchargers are generally bolt on mods that will not require much engine modification at all.
IF boost levels are kept down.

260hp? my 01 ram sport 5.9 ltr is only 245! it also only has 335 ft pds of torque! and mine is a 4by! what gives?well, it was, i currently have the k&n, flowmaster, and throttlebody spacer. figure roughly 10 hp for each upgrade and maybe 15 ftpds of torque. if i'm lucky! still working on that 340 hemi, then i'll be set!

Just put a Powerdye SC on my 2000 dakota R/T 5.9 , there is alot involved in just this , Such as ignition , fuel upgrades , ect ect ect , Its not as easy as just bolting it on there is tuning involved , getting the correct air fuel ratio so you dont melt your enigne , I only put a 6lb boost and had lean problems right off the bat (detonation) since then i put , colder plugs , 24lb injectors , 160* stat , headers , flowmasters , high flow cat , and a little more tuning and about $4000 later its running pretty impressive ! 600hp I dont think so , Unless your really up on engines ,tuning , ect stay away from the NOS , Chargers are probably the easiest but far from the cheapest HP , Just a few of my thoughts !

as a former drag racer, here's my two pennies. there will come a point and time when you cannot add any more h.p. without helping your traction situation. pickups are notorious for not hooking up. so remember to only race from a roll //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif as far as superchargers go, they're a nice, always there kinda power. i liked mine. but talk to as many people as you can who have them. learn from their problems. (i.e. Spddracer)

as far as nitrous goes....well, it won't hurt your engine if done correctly. unfortunately, most people don't use it correctly and blow head gaskets, crack heads, etc... i ran both nitrous and a supercharger on my mustang, and let me tell you, it's a tuning nightmare!!! don't even bother! start with the small stuff and see how it goes. a k&n, an exhaust, some headers, maybe a different ring and pinion, stuff like that. once you start modding the motor, theres no turning back!! it's addictive and hella expensive!!!

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

by the way, to hit 750 h.p., you have to do a hell of a lot more than run n.o.s. and a blower... unless you're gonna have a n.o.s. fogger setup at about 400+ h.p. and do you really think a 750 h.p. truck could ever hook up? i honestly don't think so. if you can do it, it would be really cool!!! but don't get your hopes up!!

Being that the closest I have ever come to a fast car, would be fast and the furious, heres my input. Why make all these modifications to your vehicle, just to be able to blow a corvette away. Is it really worth all those thousands of dollars? If your gonna be racing it all over the place, it's gonna eventually rag the hell out of it. Then your out all this money, plus a vehicle. I just don't understand why people are so fixated on NOS, NOS doesn't make the car. Are you gonna use NOS when your at the stop light and the corvette starts reving its engine, probably not, being most likely you are in the city, and it's too easy to get into a wreck. The only purpose I can see in pouring all kinds of money into a vehicle, is if you plan on showing it, make some of the money back, you spent on it, and because you enjoy working on your vehicle. Just research and find everything you can before you spend all this money, because it only takes one simple little failure and bam 10 grand down the drain.

Well. I think by now I am positive that I am not going to do NOS. I am most likely going to have it installed by a local company. They could give me everything I need and I would have the least amount of problems. And about a pick-up not hooking up? Right now I have the opposite problem. I cannot even get my truck to burn rubber. I woud actually like to have that problem. And I'll be getting the best tires possible. The same tires as the special Supercharged, Viper-Engine Dodge Ram. It has a 0.92g. Hopefully when I finish I'll be at a little less than 500HP. That includes 62.5% gain from SC, and about 10-15HP from headers, exhaust, chip, filter, and ignition. I think that would be fun and with all of them together I should not have many problems. What kind of cars do you guys think I could beat if everything worked ideally, meaning I hooked up, and everything else good? I am hoping to beat stock Mustang GT's, and Z28 Camaros, and Firebirds. That would be cool.

the .92g is a skidpad rating that refers to how well the truck handles (which is really impressive for a truck!!!). unless you do some sort of drag racing suspension/street slick combo, I can pretty much guarantee that you will have a traction problem at

500+ HP. and yes, that would be a very fun problem to have! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif if you have an honest 500 HP, camaros and the like shouldn't be much problem. corvettes and the like will, however, be a different story. they are pushing a lot less weight, and are geared more effectively as well. like i said, just race from a nice 15-20 mph roll and you'll be okay. i really don't think you can expect that big of a gain from an s/c on a stock engine. you would need to run a better intake, heads, and fuel delivery system as well (and full length headers, too!). i've done all this stuff (albeit on a mustang) and i can tell you it's a long long labor of love that will cost you a whole lotta money... but the rewards will be oh-so worth it! if you do it, keep us posted!! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

trade your truck in on a syclone then just modify the ignition and turbines...would be cheaper lol prolly faster too if if if if you could find 1

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.