IA 20.1 Issues

I would think the only way your sub would not move and get hot at the same time would be if the coil is locked in the gap. Have you checked out the sub yet? try pushing on the cone to see if it moves. A 20.1 isnt just going to kill a sub (esp. a XXX) in a few seconds.

Not to say anything about the 20.1 as I am sure it is an awesome amp, but some amps will put out DC voltage instead of AC when they are blown. I would hook up a dmm to the speaker outputs of the amp, set it to 20v DC and see if that could be it?

It could definitely be something with the sub, but I would check ^that^ before hooking anything else of value to it.

The amp was the issue, with another MM it was putting out 154 volts on the speaker outputs with no RCAs plugged in. So the ass that I bought it from on the forum sold me a bad one I guess. The XXX was also destroyed.

Guess thats what I get for just powering it on and not hooking anything up to it.

LOL, man you guys are some lowballing mofo's, it got sent off for repair yesterday for $100. So that meant you could have a working 20.1 for around $200 bucks?

You guys need to let me know when someone else is selling one for $80 for a blown one so I can pick it up.

While it is MY fault for waiting a year and half to actually hook a sub up to this amp. DRCKISS (the guy who sold me the amp on this forum) can go eat a big fat one as far as I am concerned. It sat in my closet for the last year and half, I only hooked it up to power once to see that it turned on and that was it, oh well.

Don't feel bad I bought a Kicker SX900.4 from a member here not to long ago was supposed to be a good amp. Well I waited 8mos before testing it, and at the moment I really needed it, it let out the magic smoke of death. I went through the amp as I repair my own, and noticed it had two blown power supply fets, replaced the whole bank on that side to keep it all even. I tested, sounded great, reassempled and installed. Well went to start it up today and POP there goes another. I was in a hurry when I did it but I went further through the amp and looked inside of the keepers to notice it was blown before and that was probably why it came in a brown refurb box. The set of fets that were replaced by Kicker had broken solder joints from using a cold iron and it was a down right sh!tty job by them. I went through and replaced all 12 supply fets and this thing sounds great. Moral to this story is you never know what you are getting when you buy second hand and without a warantee, so beware. I would have paid $150 for that blown amp lOl. Polo..

BTW- I have a IA40.1 and it has been the best amp I have ever owned, has outlasted my DD Z1a....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.