I put my amp on my wall

Participant count
  • Participant list

hempy
10+ year member

bass wiener
nola
I just moved into a new apartment. It's small. Small enough to be utilizing wallspace (shelves everywhere). I've been using my budget Radioshack amp to power some wall-mounted speakers (which still haven't been painted). I got tired of seeing amp guts in teetering piles for months on end, and although I really enjoy taking things apart and exposing electronics, they look pretty messy. This way, I can enjoy my technical taxidermy in style.

Luckily, the components fit perfectly within an 8 x 10 frame, and Michael's happened to have shadowboxes that looked decent and were the perfect depth. They were also pretty cheap, about $7. I drilled holes for the inputs and speaker connections(all 3.5mm plugs), and something came loose on the last hole and I wound up with an ugly hole. I have use a grommet on the power cord, and for now a speaker cone protector-thingy cut in half works great. I need something black though.

The toroid is bolted through the back, and I left off some of the protective metal/rubber covering. I still don't know if it's safe to touch, but I wasn't planning on ever really trying it. I should probably look that up. I will definitely be getting some techflex to clean up the wiring.

The back piece is some thin plywood, stained with an ebony stain (love this stuff). I could probably have gotten it a bit darker, but I was in a bit of a rush to complete it over the weekend. The back is held on with framing staples. They're not super snug, but there isn't much weight on the frame, and they do the job well.

IMG_1583.jpg

IMG_1585.jpg

IMG_1584.jpg

IMG_1587.jpg

IMG_1586.jpg

IMG_1588.jpg

IMG_1589.jpg

IMG_1590.jpg

IMG_1591.jpg

IMG_1582.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.