I need your help choosing an amp for my new JL audio subwoofer.

Participant count
  • Participant list

loganmo

Within the next couple days I will be purchasing a JL Audio 10w3v3-4 subwoofer and need an amp recommendation. I don't really know whats good to look for except a RMS rating of 300-500 at 4 ohms. I have another 4 channel amp powering four infinity kappas so I only need a monoblock amp. Any recommendations are welcome!

Thank you!

Really? What recommendations do you have for a single 10" then? I thought that was one of the best for the price. I want tight bass and clarity. I was going to pay 180 for it.

Ok you convinced me on the SA10. It just seems like its a lot more work because I have to build my own enclosure. Another question, what is a good amp to power this thing? I want something that can give it sufficient power but not break the bank. Ideally around $150 if possible. If I get a SA10 would I have to lower it to 1ohm?

Thanks

Its worth the work. Make sure you do your research on how to properly build one. You want to use 3/4 mdf and a strong wood glue/ wood screws.

Anything 600rms and up is what youll need. IMO, Anything amp under 200 isnt worth the time or money. It wont last or its made by a garbage company. You can get a good amp for under 200$ on the classifieds on here. Just make sure whoever your buying from has past dealings with other members.

spend the extra money. Get the soundqubed.

If you simply dont have the money. Get this Precision Power PPI i650.1 iON 650W Monoblock Class-D Amplifier

Also the ohm load depends on your amp and your subwoofers wiring. For example an amp can have 1000watts at 1 ohm, 650 watts at 2 ohms, 300 watts at 4 ohms.

So lets say you get the sa-10. There is the D2 version and the D4 version. The lowest you can wire the d4 version is 2 ohms. The lowest you can wire the d2 version is 1 ohm. The lower the ohm the better the power but the hotter the amp runs.

if you got the ppi amp, youd want to get the d4 version of the sub because the ppi amp does 650 watts at 2 ohms.

If you got the soundqubed amp, youd want the d2 version because the soundqubed amp does 750rms at 1ohm

On another note. your going to get way more output if you say..save and get a soundqubed 1200D amp for 269. Im a firm believer in overpowering, and the sundown subs can take overpowering like champs

Really? What recommendations do you have for a single 10" then? I thought that was one of the best for the price. I want tight bass and clarity. I was going to pay 180 for it.
If you are only paying $180 new get the W3. And that JBL will walk circles around that 750. It has a built in DSP. Does rated power at 2 and 4ohm. It was a very expensive amp but now discontinued.

Thank you guys for the help, I want the sundown but seems like it may be above my budget. Id rather have a solid setup with the JL then skimp and get a mediocre amp and a sa10.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.