I need help with JL audio subs

Participant count
  • Participant list

jtgwinatl
10+ year member

usa
Hello

My question is this

I have an f-250 (crew cab) truck with 2 8" jl w3v2 that i have installed behind the rear seat.

Now , it seems as if the sound is terrible. It might very well be that the installer didn't build a box correctly But in not so many words, it sounds like crap.

I know the speaker is of good quality from reading all the posts here, so it isn't the speakers.

I went back to the store i bought it at, and the salesman agreed with me. He said that possibly the installer built the box incorrectly, and said that he could put in a 10" speaker(not a 10w3v2, but he said one that took less air space to build a box in) instead behind the back seat (at no charge!) .

I'm afraid that after building the box, and putting it behind the back seat again, it will still sound terrible.

I asked him if he could build a box and just put it behind the front seat (on the floor) in the middle of the back floor. He said he could do that, and that i t will probably sound better that way.He even said that doing it that way , that he could put in a 10w3v2 in the box.

What do you all think? I mean will the speakers sound better on the floor (downfiring?) or will they sound better as they are now (behind the rear seat)?

am attaching a picture of how the speakers are mounted right now, so you can see what i mean.

I'm also attaching a picture showing where he said he'd be able to put a 10w3v2 (downfiring).

My setup

alpine head unit

4 channel jl amp (for fronts)

2 channel jl amp for subs (300/2 i believe).

[/img]

This is putting it behind the back seat

Thanks for your help!

Sorry i just noticed i posted under the wrong topic!!! sorry about that

There's no way that they wont touch the seats now. I mean the way the installer built the box, they touch no matter what. So i guess i have to put the sub behind the front seat downfiring then.

I doubt that i would be able to fit a downfiring box behind the rear seat. I guess i'll have to put the 10" behind the front seat, and have to deal with the box being in the way from time to time.

I don't know of any other way. I wish the rear seat was on tracks where i could slide it forward, but unfortunately it isn't.

Anyone here have a sub in a box behind the front seat? is it a pain in the ass to have it there?

Thanks, that one looks good. I think i'm gonna have to do it that way. That box is for an extended cab, not a crew cab.

But yeah, i'm gonna have to do it that way.

THanks !

I saw an install in an F150 extended cab where he had 4x10" Subs under the back seat, facing the front, custom design he did, and made the back seat also lift up, and under the seat was the amps, cd-changer etc.... this was an older truck since it was maybe like 6 years ago i saw that, but it was very nice... and it pounded like mad with those 4x10"s in there. There was 1 port on each side by the doors... not sure on the hight of his seat, maybe he had to lift it slightly, but it looked like a perfect fit... its a good idea if you dont need that space, i would do the same if i had same vehicle... it looked totally stealthed. there was screens/grill over the subs too, so you didnt kick em in by accident.

Thanks for the info on that f-150.

I might bring it up to the guy at hifibuys.

I doubt they'd want to do it without incurring an additional charge, as this is more like a warranty job.

He is willing to build another box , and swap out the 2 8"s for 1 10" speaker at no charge.

I had actually originally suggested to the installer putting everything under the seat, and i remember him telling me it wouldn't fit. I'm sure that having to "rig" it to make everything fit underneat the seat will be somewhat costly, but cool nonetheless.

Thanks for the info.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.