I know this can't be made a rule, but.....

Participant count
  • Participant list

SamIam71

Senior VIP Member
as a common courtesy, when we post threads that propose a question, come back to the thread and post whether or not any recommendations/ advice given worked or solved the dilemma.

I say this because, if we go to the search, and look through threads on the topic we need help with, all too often we see all sorts of advice given, but far too often, the thread was left open ended and there is no way to know which, if any, of the 12 different suggestions worked.

I have searched topics I have ask questions on threads about before making the threads. Once a person is nearing an hour into digging through threads on a topic, and all they are finding is similar questions to theirs, then they will give up.

Without the final outcome of the application of any advice given being made known, this is only a conversation about audio. With the outcome made known, it becomes a database of knowledge.

I have tried to make a habit of doing this myself. That way, if a person searches the threads and finds one where I ask for advice, they find the question ask, the advice given, and the end results of actions taken. Doing this may help with the same questions being ask over and over simply because the answer was never made known, or buried too deeply in multiple threads on the topic.

as a common courtesy, when we post threads that propose a question, come back to the thread and post whether or not any recommendations/ advice given worked or solved the dilemma.I say this because, if we go to the search, and look through threads on the topic we need help with, all too often we see all sorts of advice given, but far too often, the thread was left open ended and there is no way to know which, if any, of the 12 different suggestions worked.

I have searched topics I have ask questions on threads about before making the threads. Once a person is nearing an hour into digging through threads on a topic, and all they are finding is similar questions to theirs, then they will give up.

Without the final outcome of the application of any advice given being made known, this is only a conversation about audio. With the outcome made known, it becomes a database of knowledge.

I have tried to make a habit of doing this myself. That way, if a person searches the threads and finds one where I ask for advice, they find the question ask, the advice given, and the end results of actions taken. Doing this may help with the same questions being ask over and over simply because the answer was never made known, or buried too deeply in multiple threads on the topic.
Sam, dude.. I really like your attitude man. Every one of your posts is either funny, or things I've thought myself. I'm 100 percent behind you.

This IS the internet,.. and people will be people. I try to be thorough and follow up with my stuff just out of courtesy for the people who helped me to show them their help PAID off.. and,.. to go into the "archive" that is this forum and the whole internet at large. Most of us started our troubleshooting just using google to search for My X does Y problem. That usually leads to a forum thread.. and half the time the thread ends up being 2 pages long with no resolution! lol.. And if there were things mentioned to try.. the original poster never posts back the results.

That's why we always see the negative stuff/problems on the net and not positive -- cause when everything is working no one just posts to say hey guys my speakers are working! lol.

No way to make this a rule -- But, I would say there could be some sort of "point system" "reputation" or something like that on the forum where when people follow up like you say people can give them some "points" -- yeah I know it's nothing tangible.. but hey, it'd be enough for some.

Good post though man.

Sam, dude.. I really like your attitude man. Every one of your posts is either funny, or things I've thought myself. I'm 100 percent behind you.
This IS the internet,.. and people will be people. I try to be thorough and follow up with my stuff just out of courtesy for the people who helped me to show them their help PAID off.. and,.. to go into the "archive" that is this forum and the whole internet at large. Most of us started our troubleshooting just using google to search for My X does Y problem. That usually leads to a forum thread.. and half the time the thread ends up being 2 pages long with no resolution! lol.. And if there were things mentioned to try.. the original poster never posts back the results.

That's why we always see the negative stuff/problems on the net and not positive -- cause when everything is working no one just posts to say hey guys my speakers are working! lol.

No way to make this a rule -- But, I would say there could be some sort of "point system" "reputation" or something like that on the forum where when people follow up like you say people can give them some "points" -- yeah I know it's nothing tangible.. but hey, it'd be enough for some.

Good post though man.
First, I would like to say I am sorry to hear of your chromosome disorder, and hope you can find some relief. Incase that isn't what you meant, My X too had a Y problem, but I am happily remarried now to a fantastic woman, so don't give up hope.

All jokes aside (neverrrr), I have noticed you do come back to let the community know what happens when you try things here, and it is appreciated. And, I appreciate your kind comments. Maybe when I get back to the 'Ham, we can link up in some empty parking lot, sync our FM dials to whatever horrible radio station the Southern Baptist Convention is allowing to be on the air there, and rave with glowsticks until a local law man comes up and ponders as to call for back up, or net us and sale us to the Smithsonian.

There are some helpful people here, and I really do thank them for taking time out to share their knowledge and experience.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.