I just blew my 6X9'S and need help preventing this from happening again

njv5044

So I'm a novice/newb. with car audio and could really use some help. I had a pair of jl audio tr690's running off my alpine cda-105 with an alpine ktp-445 attached and just blew them. I have another pair I'm getting ready to install, but need some expert advice on how so not to fry them this time any help would be great...the ktp-445 only has 2 gain settings high/low I had it set on high is this my problem?

Even set at full gain, you're severely under-powering those speakers. You should really consider a stronger amplifier to go along with them.

As to what the prior guy alluded to, just because they say "JL" on them doesn't mean they are good. Lower price ranges in an established brand generally aren't going to be your best option.

Maybe try something like these and combine them with a D.I.Y. adapter for a 6" X 9" to 6.5":

Morel Maximo 6 1/2 inch 2 way component system -- 2XXO0035SMWRB07 - Technomotive: Discount Auto Technology

Amazon.com: Brand New Cadence ZRS65KS 6.5" 300 Watt (pair) Super Slim 2 Way Component Speaker System w/ Silk Dome Neodymium Tweeters: Electronics

Also, get a better amp.

I have not used the kttp , but it sounds like you are sending them a clipped signal. Is the gain setting a dial that u turn from low to high like a normal amp? Most amps will only send a clean signal around half gain in my experience over the years setting them with a scope. Some clip before and some clip after , I have used a few that didn't clip till around 3/4 though. Anyways the best way is to set your h.u first and then your amp. I understand most people don't have access to or know how to use a scope. U can use a dmm and u can look up how to do that yourself.

I have not used the kttp , but it sounds like you are sending them a clipped signal. Is the gain setting a dial that u turn from low to high like a normal amp? Most amps will only send a clean signal around half gain in my experience over the years setting them with a scope. Some clip before and some clip after , I have used a few that didn't clip till around 3/4 though. Anyways the best way is to set your h.u first and then your amp. I understand most people don't have access to or know how to use a scope. U can use a dmm and u can look up how to do that yourself.
He said it has a "hi" and a "low" setting for the gain.

Iam wondering what his bass and bass boos settings are set to on the HU.

Regardless of what 6X9 is being used, they are not intended for higher powered bass...............

Even set at full gain, you're severely under-powering those speakers. You should really consider a stronger amplifier to go along with them.
As to what the prior guy alluded to, just because they say "JL" on them doesn't mean they are good. Lower price ranges in an established brand generally aren't going to be your best option.

Maybe try something like these and combine them with a D.I.Y. adapter for a 6" X 9" to 6.5":

Morel Maximo 6 1/2 inch 2 way component system -- 2XXO0035SMWRB07 - Technomotive: Discount Auto Technology

Amazon.com: Brand New Cadence ZRS65KS 6.5" 300 Watt (pair) Super Slim 2 Way Component Speaker System w/ Silk Dome Neodymium Tweeters: Electronics

Also, get a better amp.
Hazegrey uses a kttp on his hertz with no problems. Underpowering them will not blow them, sending a cliped signal will. Also, the morels are great speakers, I have them and love them. But they do need to be amped as the sensitvity is alittle low on them.

the KTP-445 is not an external amp, it's the add-on package for Alpine head units. it's slightly better than a head unit but not as good as a true external amp. external amps are more expensive and the installation is more involved.

if you didn't get enough output from 6x9's, going smaller to 6.5" won't help. there are better speakers suggested, but they won't be louder and they will have less bass output.

the OP needs to recognize that with the KTP-445 he only has so much power available, and Vol 20-25 should be considered a max setting on the head unit. also, bass boost settings should be minimal. if more bass is desired, an external amp/sub combo is the next step.

blowing speakers can be done with a KTP-445 if your bass boost settings are too high and your gain is on High.

how did you verify your speakers are blown? did they just stop working or did you test them? you could simply have a wiring problem which is causing channels to cut out. i would test the speakers with a DMM first, and if they meter out ok (3.4 - 3.8 ohms ) next test with a separate amp or home receiver. if the speakers are fine, your wiring needs work.

if the speakers work - describe to us how you made the connections, even share pics of them.

to make recommendations, a budget is needed. Even Alpine Type-R are better than what you had.

Like Cavi stated, I have used the Power pack for a few months now. it does have its limitations. It does not produce midbass well at all but I didnt need it to. I had to set my filters at 80hz to turn the volume up a bit past half. They are fine if you have efficent speakers, but I just got done installing a PDX2.150 on my front stage and it really came alive. So they are fine if you want easy install but a amp is needed if you want the full range potential of a good set of comps. Im guessing OP clipped them with too much bass at to high a volume.

thanks for all the input, Im assuming they are blown because they sound terrible when I first purchased them they were crisp and had minimal distortion even at high volume now they sound super harsh and crackly I have subs so the bass is usually set low on my hu however i did have the gain switched to high and the volume at about 25 with the "loudness" on the other night which is when Im assuming they gave out

I assumed these were decent because I've never had issues with jl guess I assumed wrong

i think you sent them a low frequency and damaged the formers, mechanical damage is the only explanation because you dont have enought power to burn the coil, regardless of what you read clipped power isn't any more powerful than perfectly sinusoidal power( not comparing amplitudes of the waves but the root mean of the amplifiers output ). try using a high pass filter

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

I assumed these were decent because I've never had issues with jl guess I assumed wrong
Nothing wrong with them but for the price you could have gotten alot better SQ and SPL.

All the info posted is highly appreciated thanks..so hypothetically speaking if I blow these again,with my current setup,what would be my best choice for 6x9s? I'm not looking to spend more than $150 if I ruin these

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.