I got a big problem with my polks

Racerx250
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Houston,Tx
Yesterday when I got off of work I turned the knob a little to high on accident and I think my front right tweeter blew. Is there any way to tell if its blown. It dosen't make any sound at all. No buzz no nothing. Please give me some help here.

Its prob blown. Polks have some of the most sensitive tweeters on the market I think. I just picked up some Momo 5x7 off this for, they were in perfect like new shape. RMS on them was 80w I used a Orion 4002 which puts out 100w by 2 at 4 ohm. Gains set low, I ran them for a day, could smell them so I turned it down. Next day, going to the store, my tweeters sounded like they were going in and out then they just stopped completely.

I have been using polk stuff since the late 90s and the tweeters sound great, just dont like anything above there RMS.

i've blown many of polk tweets they just can't hang bottom line they sound nice just can't handle abuse. there freakin weak man!!!!

You would'nt happen to have a tweeter from that set you'd like to sell would you?

Was that for me? If so naw, thats whats wrong with mine, the d@mn tweeter went out a day after I bought them. I had the Polk MMC 570. Im not sure what im going to do with them, they still work just no tweeter at all. I would give them away, if someone wanted to cover shipping.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

i think u can order them from polk for like 60 a piece.

the car i own right now had polk momo's in it when i bought it. when i got it both tweets were blown so i bought a new set. for about 3 months i was running them active off 150 rms a piece and had no problems.

right now i am running them bi amped through the polk crossovers on 120 rms with absolutely no probs....i think what im getting at is ive put mine through about 5 months of abuse(bought them used on the forum) with zero problems maybe check the install? are your gains set properly, clipping them at all? im fortunate to have a clipping indicator on my current jbl amp so i know if i am or not. maybe everyone thats having issues just didnt have them set properly?

did you buy them authorized? if so they have a 3 year warranty on them. might be worth trying to get them warrantied. there was a guy a few months ago selling some momo tweets on here but he wanted like 120 bucks for them.

Naw, I bought them used on this forum. They were in perfect shape, its def not the sellers fault, it mine. I have owned plenty of polk speakers over the years and they all do this, any time I run more than the RMS the tweeter goes. I have a set of EX3 5x7s that I bought for lil or nothing brand new from Crutchfield, RMS 60w fed them 75w (of a MTX 342) and the tweeter went. My cousin bought the same speakers at the same time but ran his off a small kicker

(37.5 x 2) and the same thing happen. Im very familar with setting gains, and have quite a few years exp install car audio, so I know its not that. I figured the extra 20w over RMS from my Orion should have not cooked them like it did.

I may hand on to them and order new tweeters like you did, but I dont want to risk the chance of frying them again lol.

Humm, I have never had any problems with my polk tweets or the momo's. They sound great and seem to handle whatever I give them. This is all news to me. Sorry to hear about the problems you are having with them.

Humm, I have never had any problems with my polk tweets or the momo's. They sound great and seem to handle whatever I give them. This is all news to me. Sorry to hear about the problems you are having with them.
I apperciate that. This is the first set of Momos I have owned (previous polk I had were the EX2, DB (old school ones from late 90s) and the EX3s. Like I said, may have been a error on my part, but that extra 20w should have not hurt them. I have a nice clean signal coming in from my Audiocontrol Four1 and the gain on the Orion 4002 was all the way down. Its cool though....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Racerx250

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Veteran
Racerx250
Houston,Tx
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date