I don't need specific answers. just tell me where to learn.

devin171moto

CarAudio.com Regular
I'm wanting to mess around and design 6th order enclosures for fun. but am having trouble finding the right tools.
I've been told loudspeaker design cookbook and bass box pro were a good place to start. but if anyone has experience and can point me to more online sources, programs etc that would help me out a lot. there are soooooooo many conflicting opinions I come across and information is heavily fragmented accross the internet. kept close to heart for proprietary reasons in my opinion.

I'm willling to read and do the work, I'm an unnaturally fast learner and will dig my nose into something 6 hours a day if I love it.
help would be appreciated. ,

Why not join a local group?
There's plenty of loud guys in the Phx area. East valley too.
There's no one place to learn it all. I'd get with guys who have exp.

It took me probably 3 years to really understand series 6th orders. They are so incredibly tunable. Port area is a huge factor in how it plays and so is the chamber sizes and the relative ratio of the chamber sizes. There's not really a wrong way to do those things, it's just that you need to understand the relationships between the ports and the front and rear chambers and how just changing 1 factor can change the whole circumstance of the box.

I learned about boxes by being hard headed and an insomniac lol. I remember learning how to do t-lines because I just couldn't sleep and it was bothering me that I didn't know how to do them.

Do a search for 6th order bandpass on this site and read through some of the threads. There has been a lot of conversations here in the last 10 years that should help start you up.

https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/car-subwoofer-boxes.asp

https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/sixth-and-eighth-order-subwoofer-boxes.asp
This is one of the best sites I've had Bookmarked for such a long time and that I will use if in need of any kind of information.
I've asked for it to become a STICKY on this site a few times in the past due to the information it provides. It seems that on a weekly that
I generally recommend information of the12volt.com that can simply be provided to those in need of a simple search for the answers they are seeking for for the Majority of questions to be answered with... a simple CLICK within the HELP 101 SECTION on this site.
I would recommend doing some research on here just to help out or go in depth to retrieve all your answers. Decent place to start

One thing that really helps me too is just visualizing how sound moves. You gotta look at a sub like an air pressurization device and follow the sound to it's destination.
yeah that is something I was made aware of that made me realize I don't know ****. two boxes of identical volume, port area, and tuning will sound different if one is wider and one is deeper. due to the soundwaves behavior and frequencies you play. very specific information like this is the stuff I've been having trouble tracking down. also wondering why you design baffles on a 45 degree angle sometimes. it could be just creative layout for fitting things in the box or it could actually be affecting the proppogation of the waves. I have zero clue. and all the information I find is people answering the most basic basic questions.

All great suggestions guys I appreciate it. really. I'm here for the hobby and conversation, not to try to extract information on a specific build without wanting to buy designs etc.
I'm curious to see what buck would design for my application after all.

One of the most debated part of series 6th orders is rear port area. And rear chamber size as well. Some people do really really small ports in series 6th orders.
it's my understanding that all other things being equal 1:1 will have more bandwidth than 1.5:1 or 2:1. at the cost of peak.
but think I hear you saying it's more about the sizes of each chamber than the ratio between them?

what do you think about this?

first vid is overview and demo. second is the build.

Op you have quite a tenuous grasp on audio, master the basics before moving on to expert level shit like 6th orders.
what is basics in your opinion? I get where you are coming from, I have a tendency to bite off more than I can chew admittedly.
but seeing as 6th orders are my new random obsession I don't think it's much worth my time to "master" other aspects of car audio before I attempt to learn this. I can learn them side by side no? trial and error will help me along the way.

what is basics in your opinion? I get where you are coming from, I have a tendency to bite off more than I can chew admittedly.
but seeing as 6th orders are my new random obsession I don't think it's much worth my time to "master" other aspects of car audio before I attempt to learn this. I can learn them side by side no? trial and error will help me along the way.

By basics i mean basics, for example explain ohms law or huffmans iron law in your own words without using google (rhetorical btw)

I'm not expecting you to know or quote direct theory but a good box designer or knowledgeable audio hobbyist could easily answer those.

I may not post a lot anymore and when I do its usually just to mess with people but I still lurk and see what people post, and I see the sort of posts you make....

I admire your desire to learn and your humility and admittance to not knowing a lot and I'm not trying to knock that. We all have to start somewhere and I was in that position once.

That being said you come across as eager to learn but not willing to put in the work and rather in constant seek of the easy way out. I could be wrong and completely out of perspective but thats the impression I get.

So listen the advice you've been given so far and put in the work and you will get there. It takes time, there is no short cut.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.