HU's that are better and cheaper than NIB Alpine 117's.

I like Kenwood eXcelon HU's. I also like Clarion. I love and prefer Alpine - there are 15 years worth of great head units sitting out there looking for good homes. However, if you want the latest and greatest connection features, Alpine can't help you as others can.

I like Kenwood eXcelon HU's. I also like Clarion. I love and prefer Alpine - there are 15 years worth of great head units sitting out there looking for good homes. However, if you want the latest and greatest connection features, Alpine can't help you as others can.
Do Alpines tend to not have good connection capabilities?

I always had alpines and loved them but they are so **** expensive and don't have the same features as cheaper headunits. My car had a kenwood 794 in it and I now prefer kenwood. I hate my pioneer and hate my friends pioneer too.

I have a pioneer deh-6500 bt, I love the features, but i hate the 8400 just because of the click tab. The only thing i dislike about the 6500 is that it only has 4 pre outs, but imma run a processor so its no big deal

Do you know how hard it is to find an XM capable head unit with USB and 2way active + sub? ITS FREAKING IMPOSSIBLE. Clarion has that active unit, but its only -6db and -12db slopes....

DEH-80PRS is pretty awesome. The only thing that you could add to improve it is parametric equalizer.

I just dumped an Alpine CDA-9885 I owned forever for a Kenwood KDC-BT948HD in my truck. Night and day difference in SQ. I just got done installing Polk Db6501, Punch 150@2, C10 kicker behind seat all passive xovers off amp and couldn't get the harshness out of the system.

Finally gave up, swapped out decks and man, so much smoother. I had hours tuning the speakers / phasing, capping tweeters, who knows how many gain adjustments and never got it right with the Alpine. Kenwood? 15 minutes. Done, no listener fatigue, no screeching mids, no flat dead sound.

Improved so much, I got rid of the Alpine in the car and a KDC-x794 is in there now. I never noticed how bad it was since I've had Alpines so long. Not going back.

If you are hell-bent on buying an Alpine, get a good one with a decent DAC and some good tunability. A screechy bright system ***** on a long road trip. That's what prompted me to tear into this. Couldn't listen to the new system in my truck because of the deck. Ears would ring after an hour. Sad

Once amped up, my x996 and the wife's 701 kenwoods sound amazing without much tuning (I still mess with them quite a bit though, that's one of the reasons I love the kenwoods).

I have a friend who goes through alot of different equipment and is very open minded about trying different stuff and he claims out of all the head units he's heard in his life my x996 sounded the best right out of the box.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.