how would this sound?

Vorak
10+ year member

WI
I am thinking about upgrading my stuff. I want to buy 2 12" Type S's and power them with an Eclipse 33250. The amp is 310W x 2 Channel Max. Power Output at 2 ohms. I am just wondering what you guys think about this setup. How would it sound. Would the subs be loud? Would they play all types of music? let me hear what you think.

I checked out and messed around with the Type S subs not too long ago. They only seemed to sound good when they were played at their full RMS handling. At low levels many of the bass frequencies didn't sound bright or evenly dispersed with other frequencies. Also when a larger amp was applied their sound wasn't very accurate and was slightly muttled. I'm not too sure of what the Eclipse amps RMS out put is but an educated guess would say about 150 - 175 watts RMS per channel at 2 ohms. That is a good match up for those subs - just don't crank the gains up and try to pound them harder than they are capable of. In my opinion, the Type-S sub is deffinately worth what they cost and sound great with most types of music.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ - Agrees

I would try to step up to their bigger brother type R. . . but if your looking for good sound w/ a small price tag... your going in the right direction

the thing is with the Type R's is that i have heard that they are mainly for SQ. I want both SQ and SPL. I listen to a lot of types of music in my car so I want something that can boom loud but can also hit tight bass like Slipknot or something. I think i am going to go for the Type S's and that eclipse amp. Thanks for the feedback.

Originally posted by BassiKLowZ You would get more SPL from a type R then a type S!
you think so? the guy from my local shop said that they are stickly for SQ. He said that they cant play rap very well... I dont know...
Also i was wondering if anybody here has any Type S's. If you do let me know what you think about them and how they sound for you. Thanks

the guy you been speaking to has it backwards. Type S and Type E subs (yes there is a type E) are what people use in Soundquality applications. The subs dont produce Low Frequencies as well as the type R's, but in a sealed enclosure running them at their RMS they have a very tight bass response.

The Type R's handle twice as much power. The voice coil is bigger then the wimpy 2" coil in the Type S, and has an higher Excursion peak thus allowing more movement to push air. I used to have 3 Type R's in a sealed enclosure w/ a Crossfire V600D on each sub and i would pay money to anyone who could hit highter SPL numbers then me with Type S's;)

thanks for the info man. I am think i am still going to buy the Type S's because 1) they are cheaper and 2) i would need to spend more money on a bigger amp to push 2 Type R's.

I am really hoping that the Type S's and that eclipse amp are louder and sound better then my Kicker Comps and my Kicker 200.2 amp. I will be buying 12" Type S's so they better be louder.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.