How will this crack effect this subwoofer?

Joey Link
10+ year member

So I drove 300 miles yesterday to get a sub/box package from CC for $129.99 (normally $399). This was an excellent deal for me because the previous owner left his amp and wiring, and this is a perfect match for it: plug and play. I hooked it up to the RF 501s last night in the dark, before the drive home, and they sound great.

I go to show a buddy of mine this afternoon, in the daylight, and notice this crack in the face of one of the subs. I called Circuit City and they told me to bring it back for an exchange, but there's no way I'm driving 300 miles again. I could take it back to the local CC for a refund, but I really want this package because $129 is a steal for decent bass until I can gather the funds for a better setup.

Below is a picture of the crack. I have near zero knowledge about subwoofers and how they work (I'm learning though, via the search function). How does this crack effect the sub? Should I return them for a refund or keep them since they still sound good?

http://www.skylineportland.com/images/Sub%20Crack%20(Large).jpg

Look at it as a leak in the box, since you no longer have a perfect seal. Frequency response will suffer, as the front and back waves aren't perfectly separated, not only that but it could lead to further damage because of the leak.

get some 2 part epoxy from walmart and put it there and it should work just fine. I dont know about silicone though since it might seperate and the crack might grow. Less than 5 bucks to fix with epoxy.

take it back to your local store.... they are a chain and can give exchances or will screw you at their own descretion..... you need to convince them.....

please tell me it was 300 miles round trip for this spectacular deal.... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

I took the unit back to the store nearest to me and my god, what a hassle. First they didn't believe I wasn't the one who caused the damage. Then the guy told me there was nothing he could for me because I bought them at the store 150 miles away. That REALLY upset me. He told me I needed to call the manager or the store director of the store I purchased them at, expecting me to leave then do it later. I pulled out my cell phone and asked him for the number, telling him that we were going to get to the bottom of this right here and now. The store manager of the store I purchased them from told me I had to CALL ECLIPSE, as it was their problem! That was after he accused me of damaging the speaker with a screw driver or a drill while installing the protective bars (which I never opened, they were still sealed in the box, which I brought in the store with me). Anyway, I don't want to bore you all with the bullsh*t, but it took me an hour before they miraculously 'found' an open-box unit in the back, which they gave me as an exchange. I purchased the $19.99 2 year protection plan and the manager I was dealing with then told me how when I'm ready to upgrade, just turn the gain on my amp up, blow the subs, then return them and use the $129.99 toward my next purchase //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

Anyway, I think $129 is a pretty good deal for a setup which took 30 seconds to 'install', since the amp was already wired up from the previous owner. Can you guys think of a way I could have got better results for $129? My next setup will probably include something along the lines of a Cadence amp and a Fi Q, but that's $600 down the road //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I can understand from store manager being skeptical since you brought in something from a store 150 miles away, probly without a reciept. When more often then not people do accidentally **** up the merchandise and try to blame the store. It's not your fault, but circumstances weren't in your favor. the manager from the original store probly verified the purchase and thats the only reason why they could give you anything. even then it still depends greatly on you additude while presenting this claim.

never the less, he should not have said that last line to you. that was his **** up.

129 isnt bad something simple like this. dont think it was worth the drive however //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

I did have the receipt, but I do understand that people probably do just what you said quite often.

The drive was actually pretty nice, as the girlfriend and I haven't been out of the city in quite some time.

I think tomorrow I'll take a door panel off and see what the previous owner had installed up front, they sound great and I'm super curious. My next addition to this system will be the Pioneer Z2, as I need the Nav for my business (this is my business vehicle).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.