How to wire and use a DSP?

Participant count
  • Participant list

xuv224

CarAudio.com Newbie
I am about to install a 4 channel Infinity amp, CDT audio 6x9 front speakers and a Bazooka tube (bridged on channels 3,4) in a new 2022 F-250 XL standard cab. The truck came with the most basic radio, 8" screen, only one speaker in each door and one tweeter in each A pillar.
I have read about DSP's like the Dayton 408, watched a few videos on those. But it looks like one needs a degree in audio engineering to set one of those up. Would it make sense to add this to my system? If so how do I wire that? The stock radio only has two high level outputs for the front speakers.

I bought a pair of Infinity Reference tweeters. Once I have everything hooked up, I was going to test if those sound any better than the stock tweeters. But I was planning on still having a second pair of tweeters in those A pillars (besides the ones in the 2-way door speakers).

I bought a pair of Infinity Reference tweeters. Once I have everything hooked up, I was going to test if those sound any better than the stock tweeters. But I was planning on still having a second pair of tweeters in those A pillars (besides the ones in the 2-way door speakers).

I'm sure the Infinity's will be a big improvement. The problem is you have 2 pairs of tweeters playing the same frequencies which is generally considered a no-no. On top of that if we were to use 2 sets of tweeters, we generally want them jammed together as close as possible to eliminate comb filtering.

I'm sure the Infinity's will be a big improvement. The problem is you have 2 pairs of tweeters playing the same frequencies which is generally considered a no-no. On top of that if we were to use 2 sets of tweeters, we generally want them jammed together as close as possible to eliminate comb filtering.
I explained that to the person at CDT audio, he said having a second pair of tweeters is no issue, in fact they recommend that and said the second pair should be mounted as high as possible and aimed at the windshield
Also, this is a 2 door truck, but most trucks have 4 doors and those rear doors then have more speakers (another set of mids and tweeters), all those would also be playing the same set of frequencies and also be mounted about the same distance apart as I would have mine mounted. So I'm not sure why it would be a problem to have a second set of tweeters higher.

I explained that to the person at CDT audio, he said having a second pair of tweeters is no issue, in fact they recommend that and said the second pair should be mounted as high as possible and aimed at the windshield
Also, this is a 2 door truck, but most trucks have 4 doors and those rear doors then have more speakers (another set of mids and tweeters), all those would also be playing the same set of frequencies and also be mounted about the same distance apart as I would have mine mounted. So I'm not sure why it would be a problem to have a second set of tweeters higher.
LOL.....goodluck

Well, there's alot to unpack here.

First, there isn't anything inherently wrong with running 2 sets of tweeters if they are installed correctly. Having one set in your doors aimed at your kneecap and one on your dash is just asking for cancelation and Soundstage issues. You do you, run it if it makes you happy.

Second, running a DSP is only truly helpful when you have your individual component speakers on separate channels(Ex tweeters on ch 1+2, midbass on ch 3+4). Running coaxial speakers greatly reduces the benefit you would gain from a DSP.

Third, take the time to properly install your door speakers. Find out how to deaden and seal your doors, get speaker baffles/spacers, seal the baffle to the door card/panel, etc. Without doing any of this your door speakers will not sound very good.

Matt

CDT also sells special crossovers to accommodate the "up-stage" tweeter.

Rear speakers would generally be faded to where you can barely or can't hear them in a Sq oriented system.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...