How to wire 2-Way Speakers in 2ohm mode - Alpine MRP-F300

Participant count
  • Participant list

we87
10+ year member

I have four SPR-17c Two-Way type R Alpine speakers, running on a Alpine MRP-F300 amp.

At the moment, they are hooked up to each individual channel and running at 50x4.

From what I understand, I can get 75 watts per channel if I hook them up in 2ohm mode.

I do not know how to do that?

As far as I know, I can "bridge" them with the two fronts on the same channel, and the two rears on the same channel, that would mean that only TWO CHANNELS of the amp are connected. Is this considered 2ohms load?

I am sorry for the stupid question, but I have read alot of tutorials and I just dont understand the difference between BRIDGED and 2OHM. Thank you so much in advance for any help you can provide....

Well, its not as if there is a switch you throw to put it "in 2 ohm mode." This is determined by the impedance of the speaker and how they are wired. I can almost guarantee being alpine those are 4 ohm speakers. I also know that amp is 50x4 @ 4 ohms and 75x4@2 ohms. If you wire one speaker off of each channel each speaker will be getting 50 watts RMS. This is your best option. If you take the two speakers and parallel them to 2 ohms and then bridge them it will be the same as a 1 ohm stereo load which will heat that amp up and probably blow it in time. IF you series the speakers to 8 ohms and bridge them, you will get 100 watts rms at a 4 ohm stereo load, but lose fade and balance and complicate wiring more. One speaker per channel at 4 ohms really is your best option unless you get new speakers or get a new amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

we87

10+ year member
we87
Dallas, TX
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from