How to test if your box will fit?

Carnivorous18
10+ year member

T3h G33k
So I originally built a box for my 18" that, according to my measurements, thought would fit into my trunk by going in from the cabin into the trunk from the backseats. Unfortunately for me it was just barely too tall enough and wide enough to clear through into it:verymad:.

So now im looking to build a box eventually for a 15" that will be able to slide in and out of the trunk from the trunk. I have an estimated max space of 15" tall, 30" wide, and 28" deep. Is there a way I could build a test box out of some firm materials to see if it will slide in and out like I want? I don't necessarily mean wood because I want this to be cheap, but it has to be sturdy and keep its form while im putting it in; it cant be bending like cardboard. Any of you guys done this sort of thing before?

I tried cardboard. Its way too flimsy I couldnt get it to keep its shape. Maybe if it was thicker so it wasnt so flimsy. Styrofoam aint a bad idea I wonder where I can buy sheets of it or something

build it and see if it fits... LOL

I get a good laugh when people build a giant box because they have a TON of trunk room but then have a tiny trunk opening so it don't fit. Personally, I usually shove my boxes through the rear seat hole when possible. Makes it a lot easier IMO...

i was thinking using a tape measure?
Yes i did that but id much rather rest easy knowing it would fit. I'll be getting the box built for me so I dont want to give em my max dimensions then when it comes, come to find out it dont fit. Like I said I already had that happen this past time I built it so I just wana double check.

Foam board. Like what people use to make presentations at the office/school/etc.
Foam board. hmm ill look into that too

build it and see if it fits... LOL
I get a good laugh when people build a giant box because they have a TON of trunk room but then have a tiny trunk opening so it don't fit. Personally' date=' I usually shove my boxes through the rear seat hole when possible. Makes it a lot easier IMO...[/quote']

See and I thought that would make it a lot easier too when I tried to shove mine through the rear seat hole but low and behold it was too big.

Thanks for the responses ill look into the foam board and styrofoam but lemme know if you guys can think of anything else

crazy thing called tape measure and calculator
I know I get it but I have to make sure it will slide in and out ok. Also a testbox will tell me if theres any unnoticed kinks that keep it from sliding in. I tried to measure the lowest spots that come down in the trunk which seemed like the rear speakers but obviously there was more to it. Test box seems like a fixall

tape measure and calculator does not account for changes when you CLOSE the trunk lid either... LOL

Buddy of mine built a nice box, just BARELY made it in the trunk opening. got it bolted down, sub put it, amp mounted to the back of it etc... went to close the trunk and the trunk lid arm deals hit the box with about 12" left to close the trunk lid...

tape measure and calculator does not account for changes when you CLOSE the trunk lid either... LOL
Buddy of mine built a nice box, just BARELY made it in the trunk opening. got it bolted down, sub put it, amp mounted to the back of it etc... went to close the trunk and the trunk lid arm deals hit the box with about 12" left to close the trunk lid...
Lmfao THISS is what I want to avoid. Plus I want futureproof I wana get a Type-S and those trunks are pretty big plus its a hatchback so itll open wide for lots of easy access. Unfortunate for me I have the smaller trunk of the two right now so im restricted by the opening -.-

I know I get it but I have to make sure it will slide in and out ok. Also a testbox will tell me if theres any unnoticed kinks that keep it from sliding in. I tried to measure the lowest spots that come down in the trunk which seemed like the rear speakers but obviously there was more to it. Test box seems like a fixall
Crazy thing is if you measure it right, it would not be a problem. Ignoring that you made a mistake and go a different route might make it harder for yourself. If you already know what you did wrong with measurement why not try again right this time? It only takes slightly less measurements to make it fit. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

Crazy thing is if you measure it right, it would not be a problem. Ignoring that you made a mistake and go a different route might make it harder for yourself. If you already know what you did wrong with measurement why not try again right this time? It only takes slightly less measurements to make it fit. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

**** double posted on me for no reason. I hit it once.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.