How to seal enclosure to cab wall

Participant count
  • Participant list

JW266

Killer
Loomis
I've got an old toyota pickup single cab and my goal is to not make my passengers eat their knees. I've already made the enclosure with the intention of using the cab wall as the rear of the box. Now I'm wondering the best way to attach it to the vehicle but I want it to be removable (if it works well with my 8" ill probably try to build another for a 12) so no nasty glues or sealants. The box has a bottom so it's just the rear that's open. If anyone has pics or ideas id appreciate it!

Not a great idea because the back of the cab is flimsy sheet metal. To even make a good seal, you could use silicone caulk. It is easily removable.

I added a brace across the rear of the box that fits into a recess in the wall that I think will handle that problem. I should probably get a couple pics up. Butbit sits on the floor as well so if I can attach it to the wall and floor the box itself should act as a brace and stiffen the entire wall

I had a removable enclosure in a CRX back in the day. I bought 'garage door gasket' from Home Depot. It's like 2.5" wide rubber material (like huge weatherstripping with no sticky). Use some thick material on enclosure side, double layer and make a lip on the front side where it attaches. Lag bolt that **** tight...done. And if you set it up properly, all lags should be accessible through the woofer opening with a ratchet.

Hopefully you visualize what I'm saying...

20170518_175412_zpsmloqe9br.jpg.html
[/img]

20170518_175404_zpszad7rvgd.jpg.html

20170518_175432_zpshtmz4gie.jpg Photo by buick_66 | Photobucket

Did 148.6 with 1200watts and ****** voltage, stock alt.

Thanks guys, that was sort of the way my brainstorming was going. Think I'm gonna make a few L-brackets and put some put some threaded inserts in the sheet metal floor and wall. I like that you put them on the inside so they're hidden but I'm working with a 8" hole in a 0.28cu ft. Box lol! Definitely far from "high powered" (400 watts) to the sub but I didn't think I could trust regular old weatherstrip even compressed.

Any thoughts on how big id be able to go before weatherstrip wouldn't seal anymore? I wanna put this DarkAI NKO-12 in on at least the 500W RMS its rated for.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.