How to install subs into a box

good old wood screws do the job, unless you've got some serious big subs.

Sorry to ask anothyer dumb question, but,

does the damping stuff that looks like cotton wool that you put in boxes actually do much, SPL wise i mean.

Thanks

I have used wood screws that over time have come loose. I'm thinking about tring to find or make a clamp of some sort that will fit over the edge of the sub. Kinda like what holds grills on but a bit more hefty.

With plywood or MDF boxes I'd use wood screws. With particle board use threaded inserts (called "Tee Nuts") which you can get at any hardware store. You drill a hole and insert them from behind, then use machine screws (8-32).

Sealing is important. Don't have any carpet under the speaker's mounting surface. Some woofers even come with gaskets, but if your surface is flat and smooth it should seal OK without one.

mr_unreal, that cooton wool like stuff, poly-fill works by slowing down the sound waves. This makes a small box seam bigger. If you want more SPL I think it would be worth it for the money. Not sure if it is a fire hazard tough.

Use 1 to 1-1/2 pounds of Poly-Fill per cubic foot of box volume.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

scott4251

10+ year member
scott4251
Michigan
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from