How to fix rear strut

ryl515
10+ year member

awesome
Kent, OH
I bought a 2001 mercury cougar last week and the seller said the drivers side rear strut needs to be replaced. When I hit bumps, I can hear that something isn't right back there so I guess she was right. I plan to bring the car in for an oil change asap, but I don't wanna call until I know if they will need to replace the strut as well or not. My dad has been obsessed with cars and has been doing his own work on all of his cars ever since he could drive so he wants to look at it and see if this is something he can do himself to save us a little money. Neither one of us have dealt with this before so I need to know what I have to do in order to check this out and complete it myself.

easy as pie... in a buddy's subaru we can swap all 4 corners in about 45 mins. not working all that fast.

Just make sure the brake lines don't rub on anything when you're done.

easy as pie... in a buddy's subaru we can swap all 4 corners in about 45 mins. not working all that fast.
Just make sure the brake lines don't rub on anything when you're done.
Generally, most struts that are factory or factory designed will have a perch to mount the brake lines.

If they don't, get a loose fitting mount to 'hold' them out of the way.

Don't forget to get a quality spring compressor. If you zip the strut top bolt off, the spring will shoot the strut, top and the spring itself across the room. Its kinda cool if your planning it, but not so if unexpected.

I don't know much about cougars, but if its FWD and has rear coilovers he might not need the spring compressor. It's always best to be safe though if you've never done shocks.

Don't forget to get a quality spring compressor. If you zip the strut top bolt off, the spring will shoot the strut, top and the spring itself across the room. Its kinda cool if your planning it, but not so if unexpected.
Better get one of those. Because thats what your going to need. If you dont have one. Have fun. Get some chains tie it around the spring and hid behind somthin. lol. But yeah your going to need one of them. They have struts all the way around. Look into getting the top plate and pads as well. Most likely they come together but they always go as well. Might be really whats going on with your problem. But not sure I am not there to hear noise.

you might be able to rent one at autozone or advanced auto, a spring compresser that is, and dont try to compress them yourself, its just not a good idea and its really not that hard to do by yourself and save a lil money

A spring compressor is like $30 at Autozone, and is needed for the job.

Compress the coils, remove the coil clip on the bottom of each coil, and then remove the bolts from the top and the bottom of the shocks.

its kinda simple man check on you tube..i replaced mines watching that its only cuple bolts. the hard part about it is that u have to compress the springs when ur replacing the strut i had both of my backs replaced

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.