How to determine what to tune my box to

I have 2 12" Rockford Fosgate P2D4 w/ 1000RMS amp and want to build a proper box for them. I have seen my friends tune to ~30Hz with their setups. I like the lows it puts out but am afraid I will lose the higher bass tones they get right now with my current box. Would a box at 40-45Hz be better?

You won't get any lows with 40 Hz. I would go around 34 if you want some lows and then get some of the highs as well.

Go download winISD and do some modelling, it'll help you get what you want. It's pretty simple to figure out just take your time learning it step by step.

34 seems to be the favorite tuning frequency for lows and highs.only way to really know is to build one box with interchangeable ports,or build several boxes and play'em to hear what sounds best to you

You can find many websites to help you out. 12volt has a box building app with port help
The 12 volt box app does not account for a lot of important factors in tuning a box, torres box calculator is much better.

OP: Its not just the tuning, but the box size and port area will affect your range also.

How low are you wanting to play? 20hz 25hz 30hz 35hz?
What music do you listen to? Decaf?
I listen to a lot of EDM and some rap like Tech N9ne and Juicy J so it doesnt get down into the really low notes that often. I want a box that can hit the highs strong and well while still supplying lots of bump for the lows.

I listen to a lot of EDM and some rap like Tech N9ne and Juicy J so it doesnt get down into the really low notes that often. I want a box that can hit the highs strong and well while still supplying lots of bump for the lows.
37-40hz on a moderate-sized enclosure on a lot of power with 12-14 sq inches of port per cube should be fine for that.

37-40hz on a moderate-sized enclosure on a lot of power with 12-14 sq inches of port per cube should be fine for that.
thanks, im pretty new to custom boxes so this will be a challenge for me. You have any tips or guides i could use as reference??

P.S. What would you consider "a lot of power" all i have is a 1000RMS amp and dont plan on upgrading anytime soon.

thanks, im pretty new to custom boxes so this will be a challenge for me. You have any tips or guides i could use as reference??
P.S. What would you consider "a lot of power" all i have is a 1000RMS amp and dont plan on upgrading anytime soon.
around 1.5 to 2 times the sub's rated power.

my box for the diamond d6 10 is tuned to 37 and it has good highs and pumps out lows in my aero ported box.37 is what i would do.i listen to rock,rap,trap music ect

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.