Flat Response Ported Box ??

Participant count
  • Participant list

DJSlowfets

Senior VIP Member
CA
Have been trying to do as much research as I can for building my own box have an American Bass XFL 15. On 1k. Just by chance went into the local car audio shop (only one around) stand up guy. Anyways I was telling him what I listen to and what I've got and asked his opinion on what I should do for a box.. he goes interesting I just built a box based on what your telling me he uses it for demos in store. It's a Memphis BR 12 on a Memphis 500 watt amp. He goes here play what you like I was like I don't know if it will get low enough to what I like he goes I promise you it will. Plugged it in played DJSNT - SAIL.. insane! I have been around a lot of systems and this was the best and loudest I've ever heard perfect match between Sq and SPL had the whole store shaking off 500 watts. Anyway I asked what the box was tuned to ? He said its a flat box. I had no idea what that is have never heard of it. Said he made the frequency response flat now I may not be using right terms still confused how this works anyway said it will go to as low as 24 hz at -3db or something anyways hopped on his computer and used a program to show me the curve flat as paper with a roll off near mid 20 like he said. I believe the program was like winisd? My long about question here is guys is do I want a box like that because I listen to decaf very low songs but also popular hits you know that may be in the 50's and this thing hit everything? With my setup should I do it ? Thank you so much for whoever decided to read this long !

That's just modeling software. It's tuned at something, every ported box is but if you tune low and get the airspace right it can be very flat. Now when you put that box in a car it's going to have a peak. Cabin gain and the resonance frequancy of the car will pull it.

If you want flat in your car, you will have to get your car rta'd to determine resonant frq. Then tune box accordingly .

I used to know what most of the older cars res freq was, but not at all any newer ones ....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.