How the hell do batteries work but for real how do I choose the right one

Participant count
  • Participant list

Matthew bryant

CarAudio.com Newbie
So I am preparing to do my Audio install I purchase a resilient sound Onyx 15 a taramps MD 5000 a bunch of 4/0 and 0 gauge ofc wire and Was preparing to purchase an XS power battery when someone I work with gave me two very large Interstate deep cycle batteries I I am trying to figure out if these batteries are right for car audio or if I need to liquidate them and buy something different

Attachments

• 20190718_101801.jpg
    20190718_101801.jpg
    482.7 KB · Views: 152
  • 20190718_101752.jpg
    20190718_101752.jpg
    601.5 KB · Views: 135
  • 20190718_101811.jpg
    20190718_101811.jpg
    605.1 KB · Views: 147
  • 20190718_101825.jpg
    20190718_101825.jpg
    654 KB · Views: 151
They'll work but are they new or not? If they're not new get them checked and if they're fine throw them in. It won't hurt besides the weight.

I would purchase an east penn AGM from autozone, advancedauto, oreilleys, etc before I would purchase an XS power battery.

Good call thank you, they are not brand new but they are new ish I will get them tested if I was the testing myself should I just be checking the voltage?
I would recommend you drop them off at a local autozone or something and ask them to charge them up and test them for you. They'll do it for free. If they're dead, obviously you'll need to drop them off and come back later. Don't be picky seeing that they're providing a free service.

They'll work but are they new or not? If they're not new get them checked and if they're fine throw them in. It won't hurt besides the weight.

I would purchase an east penn AGM from autozone, advancedauto, oreilleys, etc before I would purchase an XS power battery.
Another question you mentioned the weight size which is very true they are massive and it is going to take some finesse to get them in but is the size and weight relative to the power output or do you think these batteries are possibly overbuilt and overweight and I could get more for the same power out of a smaller battery?

Another question you mentioned the weight size which is very true they are massive and it is going to take some finesse to get them in but is the size and weight relative to the power output or do you think these batteries are possibly overbuilt and overweight and I could get more for the same power out of a smaller battery?
Generally speaking larger batteries are able to output more current. Obviously with deep cycles they're made for low-medium current draw for long periods of time so it's not the same as a smaller battery that has less internal resistance and is able to discharge faster but for not as long. Take a look at the label for specs but I don't see it in the pics.

I just noticed those are AGM's, I don't like interstate but if those are made by east penn they're great batteries.

Honestly, you could probably just use one of them. Those are fkn massive.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.