How much for component speaker installation?

jsun

Boston
How much should I pay to get component speakers installed? I have priced them at three places:

Option 1: Best Buy, $100. Gonna eliminate this one right off the bat.

Option 2: Car Audio specialty place in Boston #1 , $120.

Option 3: Car Audio specialty place in Boston #2 , $340.

The last place says it'll take four hours of labor, which they chart $100/hr for, or $85/hr if I buy the speakers from them.

So one place is charging about three times as much as the other. Is option 2 crazy cheap, or is option 3 crazy expensive? Would I really be messing up if I went the less expensive route?

Kinda comes down to this-- if my budget for component speakers is $600, am I better off getting $480 speakers with $120 install or $260 speakers with $340 install?

I know some people will probably say do it yourself, but I'm dumb with this stuff. You wouldn't want me to install your speakers, so I don't want me to install mine.

installing them is pretty easy...you sure you couldn't do it yourself?only thing that might take some time is making some mdf baffles if needed
The fact that I don't know what MDF baffles are probably isn't a good sign. I might get into doing my own install at some point, but hooking up my component speakers and tweeters, and running them through an amp, doesn't seem like a smart project to start with. I've never done any of this kind of work before.

The fact that I don't know what MDF baffles are probably isn't a good sign. I might get into doing my own install at some point, but hooking up my component speakers and tweeters, and running them through an amp, doesn't seem like a smart project to start with. I've never done any of this kind of work before.
Its not worth the money youre going to pay and it isnt hard at all. Just find a good location to mount the tweeter, thats pretty much the hardest thing. All you need to do is use the factory speaker wire thats in your doors and connect those to the crossovers. From there, the crossover will go to your mid driver and your tweeter. Thats all! But if youre adding an amp(which you should), you can catch all the wires from behind the radio and extend them all the way to the back where your 4 channel amp will be.

Thats the easy route though... You can always send new wires to each door which is a little harder. Also, the mdf baffle is just a piece of wood with a cut out of your speaker so you can mount the speaker using that.

There might be some one from the forum that lives near you that could help you do the install for luch,and a 6pack even, and you can learn how to do it,and get some good information/and a Demo even..Id run a thread of the Area you are in, maybe someone with some install experience can help you out and save some time and money, rather than getting RAKED!

Yea, if you can get a total list of what those installs include that would help a lot.

They both seem a little high for something fairly straight forward, unless they include extras in those prices.

Also, what kind of car do you have?

I would def put a post on here for someone local to help out before i pay those prices //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

But if nothing else, if you guys think the $120 speaker installation is pricey, then I should probably steer clear of the $340 guys. Though I'm still curious about a list of what's included at that rate.

It depends if the speakers are a direct fit, or if they will have to modify the door panel to make them fit.

Im no expert, but not a complete noob, and it took me 7-8 hours to get my components in. I had to modify the door and the inside of the door panel.

So 40$ a hour, 7-8 hours, it can be pricey. If you dont have tools or access to tools, you dont have much choice.

One day you will want to put in different speakers, so if you do it yourself now, you get to learn and save money.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.