How much does smaller than recommended box size affect Sound quality and spl

Memme

CarAudio.com Recruit
Sweden
Hey i bought 2 Deaf bounce Machete M10 V2 D4 with an rms of 500W but the box i have mounted in the car has an internal volume of 2.5ft3 recommended is 2.8ft3 about 12% smallen than recommended and i cant build a new box because my car is rebuilt you can search up volvo 945 and compare to my photo. So the subwoofer box is mounted on the wall and its hard to take it off. So my question is how much will this affect spl and sound quality i dont think it will affect spl that much but sound quality will be a bit noticeable. What are your toughs because im not an expert.

Btw the port area is around 1.5 times bigger than recommended wich is 26inch2 but my port area is 36inch2 so that might help with enclosure size and Also do anyone know displacement on a M10 v2 because they never tell what displacement their subs is.

I have a Avatar AST-2100.1D Amplifier

Last edited:
I think it is how you determine SQ? It will impact the frequency when going smaller. I always thought your low end suffers as the size is compressed down smaller. Power handling typically goes up but that was never a concern for me.

Hey i bought 2 Deaf bounce Machete M10 V2 D4 with an rms of 500W but the box i have mounted in the car has an internal volume of 2.5ft3 recommended is 2.8ft3 about 12% smallen than recommended and i cant build a new box because my car is rebuilt you can search up volvo 945 and compare to my photo. So the subwoofer box is mounted on the wall and its hard to take it off. So my question is how much will this affect spl and sound quality i dont think it will affect spl that much but sound quality will be a bit noticeable. What are your toughs because im not an expert.

Btw the port area is around 1.5 times bigger than recommended wich is 26inch2 but my port area is 36inch2 so that might help with enclosure size and Also do anyone know displacement on a M10 v2 because they never tell what displacement their subs is.

I have a Avatar AST-2100.1D Amplifier

If you would, post up a link to your exact subwoofer.

What does the fact that's it's rebuilt have to do with not being able to build a new box?
I get the fact that the car is no longer factory but if you get the measurements you can always pay someone to design you a new box.
The guy that posted above me is your best bet

What does the fact that's it's rebuilt have to do with not being able to build a new box?
I get the fact that the car is no longer factory but if you get the measurements you can always pay someone to design you a new box.
The guy that posted above me is your best bet
Because the box is mounted on wall inside, i dont have alot of time until i get my drivers license and i want to drive when i get it
i can but i dont have time. Im 15 i cant afford bigger subwoofers :) i would need to remove seats, Remove carpet and alot more.

Last edited:
If you want to put it or them in the box you have it will work
Will it sound as good as it should?
No
Will you be able to tell the difference?
Probably not yet, but your young so we wont hold it against you
Eventually if you want it to get low and put out what it is capable of doing then your going to want to change it
If you have even a slight know how of how to wood work then you can build it your self for the cost of the wood and the blueprints ($100-$150) depending on wood prices at the time

Differences of 10% in box volume or tuning should be inaudible. It is likely that you would not hear anything terribly dramatic even with 25% variance from """recommended""" volume. That said, is "recommended" volume and tuning optimum for your sub/vehicle/goals in the first place? Probably not, and can you even do anything about this if your vehicle can't fit anything larger? Again no. Start accumulating some basic woodworking tools and you can experiment with different boxes in the future, better yet, next time you're car shopping plan ahead for something with adequate space for bass and never ever buy a sedan or other vehicle with a separated trunk if you care about bass.

Differences of 10% in box volume or tuning should be inaudible. It is likely that you would not hear anything terribly dramatic even with 25% variance from """recommended""" volume. That said, is "recommended" volume and tuning optimum for your sub/vehicle/goals in the first place? Probably not, and can you even do anything about this if your vehicle can't fit anything larger? Again no. Start accumulating some basic woodworking tools and you can experiment with different boxes in the future, better yet, next time you're car shopping plan ahead for something with adequate space for bass and never ever buy a sedan or other vehicle with a separated trunk if you care about bass.
Okay good to know. Thank you so much for the help.

thats how it is for 15-18 Year olds i have to buy a smaller vehicle
  • a maximal wheelbase of 225 cm "90.0" (old regulation for A-traktor)
  • an unsprung rear axle, and a 10:1 gear ratio. (old regulation for A-traktor)
  • maximum truck bed not larger than 1.25 square meter
  • top speed was regulated to 33 km/h (20 mph)
  • a triangular slow vehicle sign in the back
  • second row of passengers not allowed

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...