How much do I ground?

CplCuddles

Certified Meme Warrior
So I am planning out my setup before I go and actually do it all. I am getting a ho alt prob about 320amp, I have a Redtop up front I'll prob switch that out with w/e AGM. And then I'm gonna have a limitless lithium 45 in the back. I'll have 2 amps for now, a sax 100.4 and an scv 6000d or possibly a 7500d if I can find one for cheap.

I'm gonna be running 2 0 guage wires from the alt and 1 0 ga from batt to a distro up front, close to the batt so I can fuse it, or is there a better way? Anyway I'll prob run 2 runs of 0 to the lithium and then I plan to use dual 0 inputs for my 6000d as well as the small amp but with a reducer for sh!ts/looks. I also plan to use dual inputs for the grounding. If I run the grounds to distro block connected the the battery just how much should I be grounding for? Like would a huge 4/0 be enough? How do I do that math?

I don't feel like I'm asking a stupid question, maybe I am. Can someone humor me? I know typically its a 1 to 1. If you have 6 1/0 wires going from a battery to amps, is it preferred to then run 6 1/0 ground wires back to the battery? or ground them to the frame. Or could I run them all back the batter then ground the battery to the frame? if so How much grounding in necessary? 6 1/0 wires worth?

Wire is rated for amps. For example 1/0 cca is typically rated around 250a or 1/0 ofc is rated around 300a. So for a rough idea to find how many amps your pulling you take your watts and dive by the voltage. So 100x4=400. 400+6000=6400. 6400 divided by 14 volts is 457 amps. So in theory you could get away with two runs each of positive and negative 1/0 front to back.

This should not be taken as the best/only way to do it. It’s just a idea for a quick rough way to get in the ballpark

Last edited by a moderator:
Wire is rated for amps. For example 1/0 cca is typically rated around 250a or 1/0 ofc is rated around 300a. So for a rough idea to find how many amps your pulling you take your watts and dive by the voltage. So 100x4=400. 400+6000=6400. 6400 divided by 14 volts is 457 amps. So in theory you could get away with two runs each of positive and negative 1/0 front to back.
This should not be taken as the best/only way to do it. It’s just a idea for a quick rough way to get in the ballpark
So if you connect a 1/0 from the batt and 2 1/0 from the alt to a distro up front then run 2 runs of 1/0 ga from that distro to the back, where do you run the ground? Like I personally don't understand grounds.

You would find a location in the back close to where the lithium is placed and ground there.

If you purchased the limitless batt terminals , you should have plenty of inputs for the amount of pos and neg runs you'll be using

Last edited by a moderator:
You want to ground for as much power as the alt is producing.

As stated above on what each ofc and cca is rated for, you will want to ground for as much as you put.

To be safe if you put 2 wires on power side then put 2 on ground

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

You want to ground for as much power as the alt is producing.
As stated above on what each ofc and cca is rated for, you will want to ground for as much as you put.

To be safe if you put 2 wires on power side then put 2 on ground

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I figure 1 big ground is better than multiple small grounds? Or does it make no difference?

You would find a location in the back close to where the lithium is placed and ground there. If you purchased the limitless batt terminals , you should have plenty of inputs for the amount of pos and neg runs you'll be using
I havent bought the limitless yet, but i plan to buy the terminals.

If you don't understand grounds you shouldn't be installing a 6k with lithium.
It's not that I have no understanding, but I'm definitely not an electrical engineer. That's why I come on here, to learn.

Don't need to be a John Kuthe (electrical I go eer) to ground. Take others advice, a ground for every power wire.
I may not post much, but I lurk a lot. No joke, that is exactly of who I thought of //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

I have four frame grounds in the rear

Two frame grounds in the engine bay for my front battery

Then four grounds in the spare tire area

Do I need that many? No.

I had some engine whine issues so I just kept adding grounds till it went away, then I added two more.

Voltage stable as t!ts tho //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fro.gif.c695f1f814b01c4ad99fe7f8cccadd29.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.