How Much Deadener

setite

Vegas
I have never used deadener, and want to put it in my 2006 Chevy Malibu LS. I am probably being too ambitious as I don;t know how long it takes, but I want to do all 4 doors, the floor, and the trunk top and bottom. I suppose I want to do the top of the car too, assuming the headliner is designed to be removed. I welcome any advice and I primarily need to know how much deadener I need. I plan to buy the AT60.

My goal is nothing special. I would like less road noise but primarily I would like my music not to be so audible outside of the car. I deliver pizzas and I have noticed that my stereo is audible at a customers door even when its at very low levels.. My stereo is basically loud at 20, dangerously loud at 25.. I listen at 18 when singing and 12 when rolling through a customers neighborhood to make sure I wake no one up and hear complaints. No customers complain when I'm at their door, but it's ridiculous that I can almost make out lyrics at such a low level.

EDIT: Also do I really need to double up anywhere. Is the doubling up just for the super flexible areas? The only one I can think of would be the roof of the car.

Here is a quick break down for you of what I suggest (without knowing the exact measurements of your doors, truck, floor, and roof I can not give you an exact answer.) 4 doors is typically 15-25 sq ft, a trunk is 20-25, floor is 15-20, and a roof is 15-20 sq ft. As long as you use the sound deadener conservatively 75 sq ft should be enough to get the job done. I would also suggest looking into getting some mass loaded vinyl to put down on your floor (this will help a lot with road noise.)

i just used 3/4 of a roll of 80 mill for one door //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif BIG difference though.

i just used 3/4 of a roll of 80 mill for one door //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif BIG difference though.
That's pretty extreme overkill, but it's your $.

I am going to assume you were using it incorrectly and had the wrong goals in mind.. I bet you were using it to block noise and that is not its purpose.. that is what MLV and CCF is for

You could have used way less and still gotten good results. I only have about 17 sq ft total on my 4 doors and they are solid (I used the 60 mil to my doors.)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

setite

setite
Vegas
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
naughtyca