How long to cut my ports?

Participant count
  • Participant list

adamawayfrommpa
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I have 2 600w blue kenwood tornados... They are in one bandpass box that has them angled at each other facing the glass front. It has 6 ports....They are all 1 foot long and I have not cut them yet...They sound pretty good but I know they will sound better after I cut them the right lengh....I n cutting these I want for all out Base....not tight base....

Any ideas on a lengh would be great

Adam Chandler:confused:

it's in "mm"

I wouldn't really recommend cutting the port.....you might want to check with the guy at the place you bought it from. I usually make my own box, that way it's to factory specs. If you want loud bass, just get a ported box, a dual or just one with a big port.

Goto: http://www.the12volt.com

They've got some great resources for building boxes. It's under box calcs.

Thank you but I thought that a bandpass box gives you more base than a ported or a sealed....Am I wrong here?

I manufacture specs....say to cut the ports 152 which I now know is 6 in. so if thats what they say don't you think I should do that?

Adam Chandler

You can give it a try. I dont' want to give you wrong advice or anything. It's been my experience that bandpass boxes are worth **** all if they're not designed especially for one speaker. Bandpass boxes move lots of air so the air volume has to be correct in order for it to be efficient.

My friend had 2 12" fosgates in his car and had a bandpass enclosure. It had 4 ports on it. I listened to it and it sounded like crap. It was sloppy and lacked the boominess you would get from a ported box.

It could be different for your subs. I'm not sure. What is the recommended use for your subs? I ask this because soem subs are not made for bandpass use.

I think your right.....They are recommended you a ported or sealed encloser but I already bought the bandpass and installed them. Now that I think of it they sounded better at the store.....they were in a sealed encloser....oh well

Which will give me more (move-the-block-base?)

sealed or ported?

Adam Chandler

I just remembered The box I have is a class D box and so are my speakers.....does that help?

Adam Chandler

It really depends. How much amplifier power do you have?? A sealed box requires lots of power to thump. If you have a ported, you will require less, it also will carry the bass more....so therefore it will be loud. You can try to sell it and build a box yourself or you can muffle one or 2 of the ports. I don't know how well that would work.

I have a ported box for my mtx 10". Now i have 2 pioneer 10". I'm putting those in a sealed box. I don't know how they'll sound, i know that they won't be as loud as they would be in a ported but they're clearer and more responsive

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.