How important is the cabling?

Participant count
  • Participant list

dsw1204

CarAudio.com Elite
My old car stereo consisted of a Kenwood Excelon (900 or 9000 series, I don't remember which) with stock speakers and whatever wiring that was in the car. I changed out the Kenwood head unit with an old Eclipse 55040 being pushed by an small Alpine 4-channel amp (this is only a 25wx4 amp). I also changed the speakers with Infinity Kappa series in the doors and changed the back speakers with some Eclipse 6x9's. I also had everything rewired with 12 gauge, 100% copper cable. The new sound is so unbelievably better that it is hard for me to explain. My question is to you guys is: Would I still have this great sound if I did not switch out the wiring? Just wondering. Thanks.

first off, that amp is not 25 watts x 4. it's 60x4 at 4Ω. second you need to clarify if the speakers were changed and being amped with the Kenwood unit. the way you put it, it sounds like a completely different set up being compared.

First, I know my amp. It is 25wx4 at 4ohms. Second, if you read my thread, I state that I started with stock speakers and the Kenwood head unit. I switched out the Kenwood with the Eclipse and Alpine amp. I also changed out all the speakers with the switch (along with the cabling). And, yes, it is a completely different setup. My question is still the same: Did switching out the cabling make a difference or would I still have this great sound if I did not switch out the wiring?

I wouldn't think the wiring would be much better than stock since the power youre pushing isnt very high. It does however ensure you dont have any bad connections or shorts in the wiring and allows you to upgrade your system later without rewiring....just my opinion

Thanks DC, I thought about that before I did the install. But, I am glad I still did it because the car is a 23 yrs. old ('91 Accord). I am thinking of installing a 100wx4 at 4ohms amp, which is still not an overabundance of power.

First, I know my amp. It is 25wx4 at 4ohms. Second, if you read my thread, I state that I started with stock speakers and the Kenwood head unit. I switched out the Kenwood with the Eclipse and Alpine amp. I also changed out all the speakers with the switch (along with the cabling). And, yes, it is a completely different setup. My question is still the same: Did switching out the cabling make a difference or would I still have this great sound if I did not switch out the wiring?
oh so sorry, my apology master. your hyperlink shows an Alpine f35. also your infinity speakers are 2Ω as your stock speakers are 4Ω.

Hi fasfocus, as far as I know I did not include any hyperlinks. If there is one I do apologize...there should not be one. But, if you just read my post it says nothing about an Alpine F35 nor does it say anything about Infinity speakers. It says I started with an Kenwood head unit with stock speakers. This was all switched out for an Eclipse 55040 head unit and an Alpine amp, with a change out of speakers, as well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

dsw1204

CarAudio.com Elite
dsw1204
Fairfield, OH
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from