How do you all feel about metal and ported boxes?

Look into getting an Lc2i loc,much better. If you need a ported design (tline may not fit) lmk. I'll hook you up.
Thanks, I actually got an LC7i as a gift ready to hook up. Ik not everyone here likes them, but I think I'll be happy with it. I'm just looking for a simple 2.0 cuft design with a good tuning for all music that I can build with little issue

Thanks, I actually got an LC7i as a gift ready to hook up. Ik not everyone here likes them, but I think I'll be happy with it. I'm just looking for a simple 2.0 cuft design with a good tuning for all music that I can build with little issue
He'll take care of you man. Bpx Might not need to be 2 cubic feet exact though. Your description is fine and sounds like a normal sealed box and you have pretty average cabin gain frequency response, likely not need to tune that high, 34 to 36hz might work fine.

A strong signal will make the biggest difference. However if your stock head unit has a built in high pass filter, whatever signal you are getting from the speaker level outputs are still zilch with the bass and its not a very clean signal either since you have to drive the audiocontrol gain much higher to compensate for the filtered bass signals. IT should be slight improvement with the audiocontrol but its no replacement for a real dedicated RCA pre-out.

Yep, he took care of me with a real nice box design. Trust me, I'd love to put in a different head unit, but it just isn't the best idea on these things. Not to mention it'll be ugly and very costly...

The signal from the stock head unit is pretty weak so I'm going after the factory amp with it as recommended by the guys over on the Acura forums. Obviously, with the box tuned to 36hz I will need a high pass filter of some sort. Is there a cheap crossover out there that will do the job?

Yep, he took care of me with a real nice box design. Trust me, I'd love to put in a different head unit, but it just isn't the best idea on these things. Not to mention it'll be ugly and very costly...
The signal from the stock head unit is pretty weak so I'm going after the factory amp with it as recommended by the guys over on the Acura forums. Obviously, with the box tuned to 36hz I will need a high pass filter of some sort. Is there a cheap crossover out there that will do the job?
Why are you using an LOC if a shop installed a radio for you? You should have rcas on the back of your radio.

However, you're absolutely better off just getting a decent head unit and skipping out on LOCs. The only good ones are expensive and if your head unit has crossovers set adding any additional crossovers won't do anything but skimmout on more of the signal.

Switching your 4ch amp is useless if you're trying to milk more signal to the Loc.... like I said you're better off just getting a new head unit.... look for 4v preouts and adjustable crossover.. then come back to the forum when you're ready to set It up

I run a high pass filter at ~28 Hz for my 36 Hz ported box, but I could probably turn it off and not damage the subwoofer. It depends on if you have any music that has content below 30 Hz and how much power you have on the subwoofer. The port will still make quite a lot of the bass until roughly 1/2 octave below tuning, which is 0.75 * 36 = 27. Below that range is when you get a lot less control over the motion of the subwoofer. Try it without a high pass filter and turn the volume down if needed.

Why are you using an LOC if a shop installed a radio for you? You should have rcas on the back of your radio. However, you're absolutely better off just getting a decent head unit and skipping out on LOCs. The only good ones are expensive and if your head unit has crossovers set adding any additional crossovers won't do anything but skimmout on more of the signal.

Switching your 4ch amp is useless if you're trying to milk more signal to the Loc.... like I said you're better off just getting a new head unit.... look for 4v preouts and adjustable crossover.. then come back to the forum when you're ready to set It up
I'm sorry lol I have the factory touchscreen in. I was just saying that I had researched on aftermarket head units in my car and it is not recommended... Climate controls are part of the unit as well... I even asked an installer who owns a TL like mine and he advised against it.

And the reason for switching amps is for more power and sq for my speakers.

I run a high pass filter at ~28 Hz for my 36 Hz ported box, but I could probably turn it off and not damage the subwoofer. It depends on if you have any music that has content below 30 Hz and how much power you have on the subwoofer. The port will still make quite a lot of the bass until roughly 1/2 octave below tuning, which is 0.75 * 36 = 27. Below that range is when you get a lot less control over the motion of the subwoofer. Try it without a high pass filter and turn the volume down if needed.
From what I've heard, most music doesn't have bass under 30hz. Most of that stuff with that is decaf or bass tracks, right? I may just go without, but I'd rather be safe than sorry

I'm sorry lol I have the factory touchscreen in. I was just saying that I had researched on aftermarket head units in my car and it is not recommended... Climate controls are part of the unit as well... I even asked an installer who owns a TL like mine and he advised against it.
And the reason for switching amps is for more power and sq for my speakers.
I've seen someone with an accord in that situation. They fabricated a faceplate for the tray in front of your shifter into a radio faceplate and just ran the speakers inside the car on an amplifier. Sounds funny but it looked really good

Anything is possible. However, with newer technology massaged into newer cars, trucks, SUV's, etc makes it more difficult to add anything audio because they keep adding more and more things.

The fact that your being told to not replace the HU is BS...it's totally up to you but because they said that is for a few reasons: 1 is the touchscreen controls more things than audio, as you said. 2 is because they don't want you messing around with it, which is false. There's gonna be more wiring behind that unit prob more than you can shake a stick at. And....will prob need to wire it up correctly if you decide in the future to replace the HU.

I know it can be done but it's def out of my skill level and budget for sure. In the TL you have to rip apart the dash just to get to the head unit and then take out the Cadette player (idk why one is there lol) and other stuff.

You think I should go pre amp for my Zapco amp that'll power the fronts? It has RCA level inputs

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.