How do i port a box?

Participant count
  • Participant list

sethcal

hello, i have a box that is 17" long 20" high, and 12" wide. i have never ported a box before, do i need a tub? cause in the manual my sub came with it said for a 2.5 in tube that is 13 in. long. but the boxes that i have seen that have been ported have a slot at the bottom of the box. but if i have a slot, does there just need to be a hole or some more wood in there? thanx for anything you can give me. thanx

-seth-

You can do it either way. But the easiest way is to use pvc pipe. Just go to your local home center/ hardware store. And buy you a 13" piece of 2.5" pvc. Take a file or some coarse sand paper and round off the edges of the pipe. It wll help cut down port noise. Then cut your hole a 1/16th of an inch larger than your pipe. Then silicon your port in place. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Originally posted by sethcal ok man thanx! but will that sound the best? thanx
As opposed to what ? best is a matter of taste. Porting it will make it louder, but at the expense of some of the frequency response. What kind of sub(s) do ya have ? I can run the numbers and see what kind of response you can expect. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

good chance.....im thinking about possibly porting my shivas after i get them....i might just end up going w/ one shiva and a jbl 300.1 .....depends on how loud they are in the sealed box....will probably sound good enough tho

Originally posted by Corsica So If i change the tube from cardboard to PVC I will hit harder??

J
it might add a 1/10th of a db. But it would be so minute you wouldn't hear it. We will talk later about making your subs hit harder. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.