How do I know my subwoofers are a good match for my amplifier?

Participant count
  • Participants list
I currently have a JVC KD-S29 head unit with a Kicker CX600.1 hooked up to 2 12" Kicker Comps in a sealed box. These aren't really a good match for this amp, are they? I can only turn my gain up to 40-45% with the head unit volume at 30/50 before the protection light flickers here and there. Or am I just doing something else wrong?

depends if your subs are d2 or d4 voice coils, and how you have them wired. but yea that amp only puts out 600@2 ohms.

yea the coils, ok so if your at 2 ohms your giving the subs 300 each how are you setting your gain? just by ear? you could be clipping even at 25% gain. or maybe you have a bad ground?

1200 doesn't exist its rms you look at, that 1200 is a marketing gimmick companies use to make their amps look better. but RMS is the real output an amp makes.

depends some amps they put the rms number some they put the "max" number. what does make sense about it? RMS is the continuous output(music playing) so thats what you need to pay attention to. good amps (expensive one) don't even say "max" they just straight up say RMS

So the Kenwood 150w max power bridgable amp is like 75w? this just doesn't make sense to me for some reason lol
Thats how they reeel you in and waste your money. You really think those boss 5000 watt amps even make close to 600 real watts? not a chance.

Best way to stay away from garbage is to never ever buy anything that only shows peak/max power or bloated numbers.

max/peak power is the number the amp makes a millisecond before it blows up.

Sounds like you aren't happy with how loud your subs are.

You'd want to first, put those subs in a well designed ported box. None of those prebuilt boxes. They are junk. Those kickers need lots of airspace to perform properly.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.