how do i know if an alt is bad

Yes, Auto Zone or Pep Boys or Advance Auto (whichever is more convenient for you) will all test alternators and starters and batteries free of charge.

I'm sure NAPA will test them as well but as I have no direct experience with them I do not know if they would charge for the process or not.

I do know the three parts houses I mentioned at the beginning of this post do it free of charge. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

an easy way to tell if its dead in your own driveway is to have the car running, and remove the positive from your batt. if the alt is completely screwed your car should stall out due to not having enough power to run anything.

how about using a DMM and testing voltage at idle??? If it's lower than the rated output alt is probably going out. Also make sure the belt isn't worn/slipping as that will cause the alt to not have proper output.

Also could be your batt taking a crap or bad/corroded POS/NEG wire. Gonna have to get your hands dirty and start troubleshooting...

Also havin similar problems...my voltage used to run around 14.5 volts. But now i hardly ever see it 14+...its usually running 13.5 or so. Got a lifetime warranty on the alt from o riellys.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.