How do i avoid ground looping?

marquisbrah
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Okay i have two amps strapped and running on the same 1/0 wire via a distributor.

I understand that the ground should be the same gauge, but since i have two separate amps with 2 separate grounds, what would be thebest way to ground?

use a distributor block to run both amps on 1/0 with 2 4 gauge outputs to amps?

Ground both amps on the same point?

Ground them at separate points? If so, like where? Thanks

Ive been told before that i should ground with the same gauge wire as the power. Would grounding with 4gauge on each affect the quality? Because i can ground at separate points with 1/0 but i dont gave enough wire to run them to the same point. I can get another distributor block to run them with 4 gauge to an input on 1/0. I just want to know what will work

IMO best way, and easiest, is to used a distribution block. What you are trying to avoid is a difference in potential, as that is what leads to ground loops. A single 1/0 wire to a distribution block from either the front battery or a solid frame ground is the way to go. That way you have many options to ground, and it all has the same potential through one wire to ground.

I am not sure if this is a good idea or not but I have see many people just ground there amps directly to the neg terminal on the batt. Of course all the setups I have seen doing this had extra batts located in the rear near the amp. So the grounding wire was well under 3ft long and they have been doing this for many of years with no issue. Reason I was told they did this cause most had unibody car's and finding a grounding spot on them was very difficult.

Grounding to the battery is the best possible ground location. Especially if there is an extra battery in the trunk, you'd be stupid to not ground to the battery.

Ive been told before that i should ground with the same gauge wire as the power. Would grounding with 4gauge on each affect the quality? Because i can ground at separate points with 1/0 but i dont gave enough wire to run them to the same point. I can get another distributor block to run them with 4 gauge to an input on 1/0. I just want to know what will work
quit trying to jew your electrical. just b/c you made another thread doesn't mean the answer changes. can you ground your amps at separate points?, yes. will running a smaller ground wire than power wire to your amp effect it?, yes. can you use a distribution block?, yes. the answer is yes you can do all that stuff and it will work. but on the other hand me and others are telling you to just get more wire to do it the way it should be done so you don't damage your amps or having to trouble shoot problems afterwards. grounding your amps at separate points is fine but your run a chance of having a ground loop noise, i've done many installs where amps were on opposite sides of the trunk and needed separate grounds with no ground loop. can you run a smaller ground wire than your power wire, yes I have seen every amp smoke up and blow b/c those ppl crank it up too much and the amp can't function with out the correct wiring. just order some 0 gauge and match your grounds or go to a shop and buy some. all the time you spent asking 1 questions 2 ways, you could have been enjoying your system.

quit trying to jew your electrical. just b/c you made another thread doesn't mean the answer changes. can you ground your amps at separate points?, yes. will running a smaller ground wire than power wire to your amp effect it?, yes. can you use a distribution block?, yes. the answer is yes you can do all that stuff and it will work. but on the other hand me and others are telling you to just get more wire to do it the way it should be done so you don't damage your amps or having to trouble shoot problems afterwards. grounding your amps at separate points is fine but your run a chance of having a ground loop noise, i've done many installs where amps were on opposite sides of the trunk and needed separate grounds with no ground loop. can you run a smaller ground wire than your power wire, yes I have seen every amp smoke up and blow b/c those ppl crank it up too much and the amp can't function with out the correct wiring. just order some 0 gauge and match your grounds or go to a shop and buy some. all the time you spent asking 1 questions 2 ways, you could have been enjoying your system.
^^^^ this. best answer given to the OP in all of his threads asking the same questions.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.