How do big PA setups work?

dudeogo

Actually a Potato
Kinda thinking about building a large PA system to listen to music at parties. But I refuse to do anything that isn't DIY. What would I need in regards to horns, drivers, tweeter/supertweeters, drivers, amps, crossovers etc. Assume I know the basics of car audio. but not much about advanced mids and highs.

Pick up a taramps 8k for mids and taramps 1600 for tweeters.

Get a 3 way active head unit, with 24 bit dac, 13 band eq. That part is an absolute must or your sh*t will sound like garbage.

Look up PRV and get some midbass/midrange and super tweeters and you can start having a concert.

No car audio amps for a PA System. Just get PA Amps, they will cost FAR less than trying to make Car Audio gear work in a PA Set Up. Plus you can always multipurpose a PA Amp for home theatre. Heck I got a Crown X4000 2700WRms Pa amp in my home theatre as a sub amp, and I have used a Crown X1000 (2X300) for highs. To run that power in Car Amplifier world, I would need 300+ amps of DC power conversion, since if you were to use batteries the party would be over in about an hour. Cost for 300+ Amps of DC power, $600. Cost of PA Amps, Less than $600.

Also, if you don't know how to make your own passive crossover network, DO NOT TRY TO MAKE YOUR OWN PA CABS... It's not worth it. Just buy some Behringer 215XLs an INuke 6000 Or the Equivalent Crown XLS, and a Powered Subwoofer (Cerwin Vega makes great ones) and a mixer that can run it all.

Pick up a taramps 8k for mids and taramps 1600 for tweeters.
Get a 3 way active head unit, with 24 bit dac, 13 band eq. That part is an absolute must or your sh*t will sound like garbage.

Look up PRV and get some midbass/midrange and super tweeters and you can start having a concert.
Cool //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif PRV was on my list. Along with MMATS

I remember at 17 I had one of these same color and thought it was the coolest car in the world but now looking back god that was a ugly car.....

27y1sg7.jpg

^^That.
How are you 17 and have 3 vehicles?
Multiple jobs and I'm a bargain hunter. The truck was a hand me down though. Also I can pull them all together and post a pic with my user on a paper if anyone thinks I'm bluffing. I can actually provide proof lol.

I remember at 17 I had one of these same color and thought it was the coolest car in the world but now looking back god that was a ugly car.....
27y1sg7.jpg
I have a very rare version of my jeep It may not be a super pretty car, but the long block mopar sure is fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
DIY is the only way to go for me. I need the unique factor.

If you mean building proper PA cabinets just use google for some plans and recommended drivers and passive crossover/notch filter/etc. circuits.

If you mean just doing Brazilian style doors full of horns, mids, and super tweeters, good luck. I've seen a ton of them and they all sound absolutely awful.

If you mean building proper PA cabinets just use google for some plans and recommended drivers and passive crossover/notch filter/etc. circuits.
If you mean just doing Brazilian style doors full of horns, mids, and super tweeters, good luck. I've seen a ton of them and they all sound absolutely awful.
I mean proper cabs. Not doors.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.