How did you all finally decide...

07ramjam
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I looking at buying a set of nice 6.5 comps.Im lucky enough to be able to spend around 300.00,but the problem is there are a ton of really nice comps in that price range.Im kind of leaning towards some MB Quarts.They may not be the best in the world but they really left an impression with me.I can get them installed for 250.00 OTD.

My question is this....what was the one(or 2) thing that made you decide on the speakers you currently have? Was it price,brand,SQ or was it a flip of the coin??

Im just curious.

I dont like the sound of the mb's but thats just me.

Ok..so what do you have and what made you buy it??

I appreciate the input but Im not asking for what you think of the MB's,to my ears they sounded real nice.I have a friend who loves Kicker.I listened to some and I couldn't take it. The tweets were way to harsh.To each his own I guess.

Listen hear you little noob all i said was my input. If you want to have loud raw no midbass sounding speakers that is you.I bought them cuase i got a good deal on them and the tweets on those were harsh as well.If you ask an op your bound to get somekind of remark you dont like from someone get use 2 it its ca.com.

every comp set I tried was a leap of faith,you cant tell **** by what someone in a different car with a different amp says........I try to find the higher priced stuff as cheap as I can find it

and if you can find a set of 700.00 comps for 150-200 bucks you know your not buying junk

My current set of ADS's which I love no one on here could comment on but I took the leap and won,I have lost too in the past with a few others - its a crap shoot IMO

Listen hear you little noob all i said was my input. If you want to have loud raw no midbass sounding speakers that is you.I bought them cuase i got a good deal on them and the tweets on those were harsh as well.If you ask an op your bound to get somekind of remark you dont like from someone get use 2 it its ca.com.
Dude,calm down!!Im not some stupid little kid. Did you even read what this thread is about??All Im asking is what made people make their final decision on the speakers they currently have.I never asked for anyone opinion.This thread was not inteneded to start a war I was just curious.

every comp set I tried was a leap of faith,you cant tell **** by what someone in a different car with a different amp says........I try to find the higher priced stuff as cheap as I can find itand if you can find a set of 700.00 comps for 150-200 bucks you know your not buying junk

My current set of ADS's which I love no one on here could comment on but I took the leap and won,I have lost too in the past with a few others - its a crap shoot IMO
I agree with this.When you go to the stores they use the best amps and H/U's in their displays so everything sounds good.Then you get it home and your like WTF!!!

I looking at buying a set of nice 6.5 comps.Im lucky enough to be able to spend around 300.00,but the problem is there are a ton of really nice comps in that price range.Im kind of leaning towards some MB Quarts.They may not be the best in the world but they really left an impression with me.I can get them installed for 250.00 OTD.
My question is this....what was the one(or 2) thing that made you decide on the speakers you currently have? Was it price,brand,SQ or was it a flip of the coin??

Im just curious.
i buy older model stuff that has been getting great reviews for 12-18 months. i figure if it been out for a while and lots a peeps like it imma bee appy //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

e bay or used...

It's all trial and error. You spend lots of monies buying different brands until you hear the set you like.

I got my focals for cheap , so thats what made me decide on my set of comps.

I agree with this.When you go to the stores they use the best amps and H/U's in their displays so everything sounds good.Then you get it home and your like WTF!!!
That hasn't been my experience. When I go to listen the sounboard usually doesn't work and when it does the speakers sound like ****.

But I do agree that you can't tell much from listening to a soundboard.

To answer your question -- read. Use the search button. Try to figure out who knows what the fVck they are talking about and give their opinions more weight.

If someone says these speakers are just the greatest things ever, I can't believe music can sound so good and crap like that -- take that guy's opinion with a grain of salt.

I read ever review I can find. I try and find people that I trust that have or are running something I am looking at. I PM them and get their input or email them. If it is something I know one of the SQ comp guys is running I try and hit them up also. I try and find a way to listen to them in a couple installs if possible. You may hear a set in one car and then in another. One may sound like ass and the other sound great. So you have to take install into consideration also. Sound boards can give a start of what you like or where to start looking but I don't buy of sound boards.

I look at the feedback that was given, price and does it do what I will need them to do.

I usually then have it narrowed down to a few brands and then I draw my own conclusion and make my purchase.

Alot of people actually go active with different drivers (not even full comp sets). Pick something you like and try it out. That is the only thing that really matters anyway.

Arent you a noob too?

Anyway its best to listen to some locally. I know I dont like metal tweeters personally so I found 5-6 silk dome tweeter sets in the 300.00 price range and listened.

The Hertz HSk, Rainbow CMX, Pioneer prs650, DLS UP6 are all about 300 and offer similar attributes. Its all in what you prefer. Dont let the sh!t talkers scare you away, there are some good people on here that will help.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.