How did Rainbow get to be such a huge boner?

IMO, if it takes a good install and lots of tuning to make the MBQ's NOT sound 'bright' - they sound 'bright'. You're just fixing the brightness (nasty volume spikes at some freqs) with an EQ.
Anyway, the Power Line CS utterly obliterates MBQ's excuse for loud clarity. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Again, I've owned several sets of MBQs and it's not hard at all to make them sound bright, and it's not hard at all to make them smooth. There's a jumper on the crossover that fixes that brightness.

And about loud clarity... you should hear my van //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Again, I've owned several sets of MBQs and it's not hard at all to make them sound bright, and it's not hard at all to make them smooth. There's a jumper on the crossover that fixes that brightness.
And about loud clarity... you should hear my van //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
3-way active custom speaker sets aren't exactly comparable to MBQ's speaker set line-up... but OK //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I'd put a single set of power line CS's up against your 3-way any day anyway....

By the jumper on the x-over, are you referring to the tweeter level adjustment? If you make your tweets much quieter to fix a freq spike at a specific frequency, you may fix the 'brightness' but you're also sacrificing volume across the tweeter's frequency range... perhaps there's a jumper that adjusts the x-over point for mids and the tweeters?

I still find it amusing you are complaining about people saying the MBQ's are harsh without listening to them, when you're complaining about the Rainbow's lacking midbass - also without hearing them. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

3-way active custom speaker sets aren't exactly comparable to MBQ's speaker set line-up... but OK //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I'd put a single set of power line CS's up against your 3-way any day anyway....
By the jumper on the x-over, are you referring to the tweeter level adjustment? If you make your tweets much quieter to fix a freq spike at a specific frequency, you may fix the 'brightness' but you're also sacrificing volume across the tweeter's frequency range... perhaps there's a jumper that adjusts the x-over point for mids and the tweeters?

I still find it amusing you are complaining about people saying the MBQ's are harsh without listening to them, when you're complaining about the Rainbow's lacking midbass - also without hearing them. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif
What I'm saying is, I've talked to lots of people who own them. People who bash MBQ just heard from a dude who heard from a dude usually...

I own a set of the SLX265's... just want to put my input on the whole matter. When I first joined the forum... I didnt know ****. I was a complete DUMBASS... and still probably am compared to alot of people on here.

I decided to buy a pair of rainbows because alot of people on here had raved about how good they were and etc. I paid a buck 150...Which I still think was a good price for these speakers. I have owned them with no deadening.....and then with some.... and finally as of last week I completely deadened my doors. I can tell a big big difference with my doors being fully complete finally inside and out the way I wanted to have them done since day 1. I just did not have the time/ nor knowledge as I do now VS even just 1 year ago. But I have heard a pair of K2P's installed and fully deadened and they completely destroy my mid-bass....and overall are just so much better in SQ.... but they are fuvking BRIGHT speakers. and they are powered by a steg amp.

I would say that alot of people rave about them because they are good speakers. They might not be "worth" the extra money VS what elseis out there cheaper.... but everyone has their own opinion I guess?

I dont like "Bright" and "Harsh" Sounds....but I have only ever owned a pair of CDT comps, and these rainbow comps.

It just attenuates the tweeter. I never noticed any nasty spikes in the frequency response of the tweeter. No speaker, period will ever have a completely flat freq response in-car, and those are dealt with by using something called an 'equalizer'. Don't know if you've ever heard of 'em. Might wanna look into em.

A couple people bought into them because they perceived them as a luxury item....then spread the word about said luxury item to further justify the purchase.
With that being said, I haven't found a tweeter I like better than my Cal27.
Same here. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Moar? Just saying, its hard to criticize people when you cant spell.. naw mean?
If I wanted to criticize you it would not be too hard since you are applying asphalt to your vehicle.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

minimal problems? im not saying its not within an acceptable range.. but i've seen quite a few post with ppl having an issue with them, so thats kind of an unfair statement (rsds)
i think it's 99% install issues. how many people have you heard blowing a mid or tweet? not many.

i think it's 99% install issues. how many people have you heard blowing a mid or tweet? not many.
Actually several....because they don't know wtf they are doing. They are stupid asses who get Rainbow gear "cuz da cool kids do" fvck up the install and blame the equipment.

I am just as guilty....when I started out with the slcs I blew the tweeter protection light and I thought it was the equipment. But instead of making a thread, I PMed the 6spdcoupe...he helped me out and I went on to buy more from him later. Do I have Rainbow mids? No...is it because they are bad? No, it is because hertz makes a 8" midbass less than 2" deep and Rainbow doesn't.

Actually several....because they don't know wtf they are doing. They are stupid asses who get Rainbow gear "cuz da cool kids do" fvck up the install and blame the equipment.
I am just as guilty....when I started out with the slcs I blew the tweeter protection light and I thought it was the equipment. But instead of making a thread, I PMed the 6spdcoupe...he helped me out and I went on to buy more from him later. Do I have Rainbow mids? No...is it because they are bad? No, it is because hertz makes a 8" midbass less than 2" deep and Rainbow doesn't.
sorry, lol. i was reffering to the rsd's. they were mentioned earlier in this thread, the post i quoted was a comment regarding the rsd's.

anyway.... the rainbow boner i think has calmed down a lot here.

sorry, lol. i was reffering to the rsd's. they were mentioned earlier in this thread, the post i quoted was a comment regarding the rsd's.
anyway.... the rainbow boner i think has calmed down a lot here.
Indeed, and anyone here can honestly agree that the RSD's has taken Rainbow's spot. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Indeed, and anyone here can honestly agree that the RSD's has taken Rainbow's spot. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
yup! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif i have contributed quite a bit to that, i know it. lol

I'd rant and rave about my Rainbows here, but nobody here wants to actually throw down some cash to buy them anyway, and I'm too busy listening to their gloriously ungodly clear loudness to care whether you perceive they are good value or not. The Rainbows in my car get so loud all by themselves that my side mirrors (in heavily deadened doors) shake badly enough that I can't see anything in them. Note that I posted my extreme satisfaction for these speakers, then essentially dissapeared for a few months. Why? Because i'm happy; why post about them when they're awesome and i'm satisfied? On the other hand, someone with problems for whatever reason is going to post here, repeatedly and loudly... and so you get a perception that people don't like them. But when someone asks about what to buy, people come and recommend them - because they are happy with them. See the pattern? People who dislike post when they are unhappy...people who like post when people ask about what to buy, saying they recommend them. Thus the '2 faces' that you referred to as far as people not being satisfied 'but still recommending them'.
I think the people you see complaining about their experiences buy the lower quality lines from Rainbow, pair them with very loud sub stages (2x12w7's @ 600$+ each matched with a pair of rainbow SLC's? Come on now, give me a ****ing break) and then are confused when they don't match up well. Often times, they are shoddily installed on top of that, leaving much to be desired. News flash; if you want to spend 800$+ on an excessively loud sub stage - you need to spend that kind of cash on your front stage to find something directly comparable. I think the lower rainbow lines are excellent - when they are matched with modest sub stages in the same price range.
definitely a major problem

I have a set of RSD's coming in for my dads new car, so I'll be able to see if they live up to all the hype. Are these supposed to be better than the Pioneer Rev's?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.