How did Rainbow get to be such a huge boner?

jmanpc
5,000+ posts

CA.com Nostalgist.
It seems like everyone I talk to about Rainbow says "They don't get loud enough" or "These things have NO midbass." Theres a thread or two just about every month where people have blown their woofers and / or tweeters.

Yes, I know they sound great in the upper end, but it just seems like everyone I talk to doesn't like them, but tries to justify it by saying "But ZoMg it's Rainbow! They sound good!"

How come everyone recommends Rainbow so much even though so many people are dissatisfied with em?

I saw the rainbow thread (slc's for sale) and was actually going to post that I would rather pick up some PG RSD for 87 than spend the price on rainbow.

I think the rainbows *DO* sound better (slightly better upper end). But I am almost as satisfied with my 87 dollar speakers.

Cause people tend to over hype everything? Most people who recommend most the time haven't even tried them out. I agree I do the same but I normally research a product before I purchase, I read good reviews about it I haven't really looked it up/read any bad reviews on it.

A couple people bought into them because they perceived them as a luxury item....then spread the word about said luxury item to further justify the purchase.

With that being said, I haven't found a tweeter I like better than my Cal27.

i liked my rainbow cmx kicks. they had some pretty good mid-bass and got loud enough for me.

i'm running some hertz speakers right now and i like them better, but they lack the mid-bass i had from the cmx kicks.

i love my cal 25 tweet.. the cmx kick mids... well its weird

they sounded amazing on some songs and just not right on others

i think they had a breakup somewhere close to their crossover point which added unwanted detail that (as stated before) would be a good thing or bad.. since i blew a mid i cant do it now.. but i have a feeling if i crossed them lower - active- they would of sounded much better

For the price, the SLC 265's are great. I recommend them because of that.

No way I'd spend $160+ for Type-R's or the like when a bit more could get me rainbows.

And half the people that are blowing these speakers don't know what they're buying and/or don't know how to install.

Sure the PG's are cheap, but they are cheap. I've heard them and they sounded like a $100 component set to me. Now, given the right install, they could've sounded better, but my point is that, like most things, you get what you pay for but your install better be more important than the speaker you choose.

I have a thread right now where I admit blowing my rainbow tweeters. It was my fault though, not the tweeter. I loved that tweeter, and so does everyone who has heard it.

i've got the rainbow profi's and i absolutely love them. this is coming from a guy that had type-r's, mb quart premiums, and boston acoustics sl's and pro's.

i absolutely LOVE boston acoustics products and they're solidly built and their speakers sound AWESOME...that being said, i took a chance when i tried rainbow slc's. i preferred my boston SL's...but they still sounded good. i got a good price on the rainbow profi's so i decided to try them. wow. just wow. i love them and i think that rainbow completely lives up to the hype.

Moar product out there = moar people who are satsifiedand moar who have problems

Fvcking newb.
Have you noticed how many people have RSDs and love em? I think that's a well-deserved boner... cheap, good midbass, good output, and minimal problems.

Rainbow is expensive and a lot of people have problems. People rant and rave about the tweeters, but thats about it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.