How did Rainbow get to be such a huge boner?

Ok, since this has gone slightly off topic, I will reply to Jman's original post basically.

I love my SLC 265 Kicks. The midbass is AMAZING and this is in undeadened doors. If I turn my subs to a reasonable level, they keep up perfectly. A good demo for this is the helicopter sounds in Pink Floyd's The Wall, it is played during all of the Anothe Brink in the Wall parts. It absolutely rips in my car. And remember I am comparing these to a set of $1000 B&W home speakers, speakers that make your MB Quarts look like OEM speakers and the Rainbow's sound pretty ****ed close. The reason you see complaints about the Rainbows is you get dumbasses buying them, turniung the gains up all the way and blasting them. Also, the Kickbasses need to be HPFd @ 80 hz or higher, if they aren't they will be ruined. I have seen MANY complaints about the PG RSDs, from blown tweeters, mids and even crossovers as well as complaints of week midbass and incredibly harsh tweeters. All in all Rainbow has a boner status because it deserves one.

A couple people bought into them because they perceived them as a luxury item....then spread the word about said luxury item to further justify the purchase.
With that being said, I haven't found a tweeter I like better than my Cal27.
try the 28.

I'll be completely honest. I don't know how, and I don't know why, but when I first hooked my rainbows up, (completely undeadened doors, no door panels, tweets hanging by the wires, hooked up to a Profile 100x2 amp that later EXPLODED!) it sounded god **** incredible. Best speakers I have ever heard. I don't know If I got used to them, or the fact that I deadened my doors or changed the amp (US amps XT1600.4), but they just don't sound the same. I listened to Gwen Stefani's Sweet Escape, and the bass POUNDED. I mean, I could feel it. I didn't want subs, it was that good.

But now, it's eh. I'm not impressed, but I've always been searching for that sound. And I've never had it since that original time I hooked it up.

I'm going to gutting my car, because I'm not going to be driving it (I'll be at Gonzaga U, not a big school at all, and I don't really a need a car, I might buy a little Ninja or something). ANYWAY, If i could get that original sound I heard from those Rainbows (265 Kicks) I'd never buy anything else. Thats how good it sounded to me. But from what I hear now, I'd shop around.

That being said, I have never tried to do any harm of them. 80Hz HPF, always (sometimes 100), I don't have the gain all the way cranked, Only listen to them at a moderately high level (28/40 on my HU, but of course, all my music is encoded quieter at 89.0dB, instead of the normal 95-100 level.

i just want that sound back!

WHERE HAS IT GONE?

I had a set of Rainbow SLC 365s (not the kicks cause my amp couldent cross at 80hz). They were ungodly. When I got them tuned they were very impressive. Even the tweeter guy was impressed (he had never even heard of rainbow). The one thing I did notice about these speakers is that they are tempermental. Dont do anything that you think might hurt them because it probably will. I remember when i first put them in I was playing with the gains and cranked it to high. Blew the 6.5 drivers on each side. Luckely the person I bought them from was kind enough to replace them with no charge.

With all that said. I agree with whoever said:

"They are a boner because they deserve to be."

And as a side note. I have the Kicker ZX 850.4 bridged on the set. Roughly 415 watts per door. They like it.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

Bad ass.

And thanks for the pics.... the Rainbow forum boner just turned into a raging real boner for a lot of people, I imagine.

i had issues with my first set of CMX kicks. granted, i was giving them 2x their recommended power, BUT theyre supposed to have been able to handle that easily. anyways, got the replacements in running active now and im sticking with recommended power. they sound great. midbass could use a tad more, but the midbass is still far better than any other comps ive ever heard. i think i just like midbass too much lol.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif
Bad ass.

And thanks for the pics.... the Rainbow forum boner just turned into a raging real boner for a lot of people, I imagine.

Yea.. about 2 months ago. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Yea.. about 2 months ago. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
Oh c'mon now... give me some credit. I missed this thread until today, but I was an active poster in filtor's orginal thread he created when he first got those beauties. I know excuses, excuses.....

Oh c'mon now... give me some credit. I missed this thread until today, but I was an active poster in filtor's orginal thread he created when he first got those beauties. I know excuses, excuses.....
Yea, creative though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.