How big of an amp do I need?

I was looking at getting two Cerwin-Vega VMAX3152

(Specs: 15" Dual 2 Ohm VMAX3 Series Subwoofer

Power Handling:

Peak: 2400 watts

RMS: 1400 watts

Impedance: 2 ohms)

and I was wondering how big of an amp I would need to run them? I dont want to power the absolute **** out of them and beat them to death. but I dont want underpower them. whats a good sort of middle ground?

would it be like 2000 Watts?

You can get a 2k but I'd be conservative with the gain I doubt they can take 1k a piece daily. I would get a saz-1500, they'll get loud at last you for years to come.

At 2 ohms yes it's possible, as long as you have big 3 upgrade , 1/0 gauge to the back and a good starter battery. The lower you drop the impendence (ohm load) the more power the amp puts out also the less efficient it becomes putting a heavier load on your electrical. There's a mmats 2100.2 in the amp classifieds that would serve you well. This is the amp you want if running at 2 ohms, puts out rated power and is super efficient with a small footprint. For $250 shipped its a steal for that amp!!!

do you think I could get away with stock electrical running at 2 ohms? and whats the differences in running 4/2/1 ohms?
for the amount of power you are looking to run it is not going to matter if you do your big 3 and a run of good 1/0...

I know there are probably better subs out there, I just have cerwin-vega door speakers and love them. figured id continue the trend. What would you recommend ? looking for SQL not just SPL.

and hopefully running stock alt.

thanks!

I know there are probably better subs out there, I just have cerwin-vega door speakers and love them. figured id continue the trend. What would you recommend ? looking for SQL not just SPL. and hopefully running stock alt.

thanks!
Budget for subs???

I was looking at getting two Cerwin-Vega VMAX3152 (Specs: 15" Dual 2 Ohm VMAX3 Series Subwoofer

Power Handling:

Peak: 2400 watts

RMS: 1400 watts

Impedance: 2 ohms)

and I was wondering how big of an amp I would need to run them? I dont want to power the absolute **** out of them and beat them to death. but I dont want underpower them. whats a good sort of middle ground?

would it be like 2000 Watts?
Well as for a good enough price, Hifonics BRX2400.1D Could work for you. Its 1600 watts at 2 ohms. But that is if your on a budget. One guy said saz-1500 which would be a good choice, but the Hifonics is lower priced then the saz-1500

not really sure on the budget right now. but Im not going to rush into it and but 75$ sony xploads. I want to do it right even if that means waiting a little longer, so budget isnt an issue but Im not going to drop 600$ each for subs lol. so just what evers best in a middle price point. not super crazy high end but not cheapo either

If you want to run your subs at 2 ohms, just buy a amp that is stable down to 2 ohms. If you buy a 1 ohm stable amp you are really only getting half the amps potential by running at 2 ohms. The ohms load really doesn't matter generally speaking as long as your amp is stable at whatever you wire your subs to. To get the most out of your amp you want the subs wired to the lowest impendance (ohm) that the amp is stable at. The higher the impenedence you are wired to generally means your amp will be more efficient. There are obviously 2 ohm amps that are less efficient than 1 ohm, it really depends on the amp. Do the big 3 and use 1/0 and I doubt you will have any problems as far as your electrical goes if you stay under 1500 watts. Sundown amps are pretty efficient and so are the kicker zx amps which are only stable down to 2 ohms.

My advice is grab a pair of sundown SA's and a refurbished saz-1500d (db-r.com). The sundown subs get loud and sound good, and their amps are really efficient and will put out more power than they are rated for.

Make sure you buy your subs with the right voice coils so you can wire them to your subs lowest impendence. You can wire 2 dvc 2 ohm subs to .5 or 2 ohms, and you can wire 2 dvc 4 ohm subs to 1 or 4 ohms.

If you want to run your subs at 2 ohms, just buy a amp that is stable down to 2 ohms. If you buy a 1 ohm stable amp you are really only getting half the amps potential by running at 2 ohms. The ohms load really doesn't matter generally speaking as long as your amp is stable at whatever you wire your subs to. To get the most out of your amp you want the subs wired to the lowest impendance (ohm) that the amp is stable at. The higher the impenedence you are wired to generally means your amp will be more efficient. There are obviously 2 ohm amps that are less efficient than 1 ohm, it really depends on the amp. Do the big 3 and use 1/0 and I doubt you will have any problems as far as your electrical goes if you stay under 1500 watts. Sundown amps are pretty efficient and so are the kicker zx amps which are only stable down to 2 ohms.
My advice is grab a pair of sundown SA's and a refurbished saz-1500d (db-r.com). The sundown subs get loud and sound good, and their amps are really efficient and will put out more power than they are rated for.

Make sure you buy your subs with the right voice coils so you can wire them to your subs lowest impendence. You can wire 2 dvc 2 ohm subs to .5 or 2 ohms, and you can wire 2 dvc 4 ohm subs to 1 or 4 ohms.
This is a good suggestion. Since you're wanting SQL, I'll also go ahead and be that guy that recommends the forum boner - look at Obsidian.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.