how bad is this?

thai_creeper
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
umm i just got done making my first box, sorry no pics cuz my dig cameras broken but..i ****ed up on one of the measurements, so the only thing wrong is that the port is off about 3/4 of an inch towards the inside. i used this one of moe's plans http://img23.imageshack.us/my.php?image=295cubes34hz3625sqin2dd.png so i don't know if u guys will know wat im talkin about but the L portion (the two port pieces) are to the right 3/4 of an inch from where they should be (lookin at the top view) soo im sure this will significantly offset the box with volume and port size and all that, any way to predict how much off or in terms of wat will the sound be like? i just finished it today so im lettin the silicone set for a day before i put my sub in. would it be so bad that i should knock out that port section and put it in right(would this be hard, removing and redoing part of the box) or maybe redo the whole box? any advice/thoughts appreciated.

looks like you increasd your port area on one part of the port and not the other.

typically when you increase port area you will raise the tuning frequency.

to be honest i dont really know how much this will change things because one end of the port has the right area but the other does not.

how did you mess up? did you cut the front baffle too short?

thanks for the input mayn, all the cuts were right, i just forgot the port should start behind the front face, instead i thought it would go to the left of the front face(lookin at the box straight on. i dont know if you get wat im sayin but yea, i guess i might as well try it out and see how my sub sounds. i just bought my first sub and everything last november so maybe i wont be able to tell if it sounds a lil bad anyways, im just hoping it sounds a lot louder and stays hittin low notes compared to my small sealed box (12" L5)

umm its too much to the right so instead of 2.5" wide it's 3.25" wide from the left side but it's still 2.5" from the short port piece to the back wall. hope that clears things up let me know if you need more explaining

the thing that i am worried about is that the port has a different area at each end. what i would do is cut another piece, 14.5H x 11.75L, and put it on the inside of the inner port wall, like the pic shows in blue. i doubt that the .06cu' of the piece that you meesed up will affect the box volume that much.

-cut a couple pieces of wood, 2.5" wide x 11.75" - 12" or so long.

-cut your 14.5 x 11.75 piece.

-apply wood glue to the side on the 11.75 x 14.5 piece and brush it evenly.

-slide it into the port opening and make it flush with the front.

-use the 2.5 x 12 pieces to wedge into the port and hold the new piece until it dries.

the thing that i am worried about is that the port has a different area at each end. what i would do is cut another piece, 14.5H x 11.75L, and put it on the inside of the inner port wall, like the pic shows in blue. i doubt that the .06cu' of the piece that you meesed up will affect the box volume that much.
-cut a couple pieces of wood, 2.5" wide x 11.75" - 12" or so long.

-cut your 14.5 x 11.75 piece.

-apply wood glue to the side on the 11.75 x 14.5 piece and brush it evenly.

-slide it into the port opening and make it flush with the front.

-use the 2.5 x 12 pieces to wedge into the port and hold the new piece until it dries.

x2

that should work well enough.

~Magick_Man~

thanks a lot for the ideas, that makes a lot of sense. the port(both pieces together) is off to the right by 3/4" so the front/face piece overhangs it by 3/4" so should I just cut a piece equal to the longer port piece plus 3/4" for the smaller port piece? sorry i can already tell that is very confusing, in reference to your picture, i was thinking cut the blue piece but only up to the front piece. haha if that doesnt make sense either im pretty sure i get your idea. im confused about what the 2.5 x 12" pieces are for though, i know you said wedging but im not sure how and where..i was thinking just stick the extra port piece against the port with glue like you said and i thought i'd screw them together reaching in the sub hole.

the 2.5 x 12 pieces are to put inside the port temporarly to push your new piece in place, one on top and the other on the bottom...since your port is 2.5" wide. screwing from inside would work as well. whatever you can do to get it tight and keep it 2.5" wide....

oh alright, i think screwing it would be easier for me. i think ill do that next weekend since i don't have access to anything for the rest of this week. i was eager to see how the box sounds though so i just put it in, i see a significant difference in bass for most songs, some songs seem the same as before though but im not mad, i feel like the 6 hours of work paid off since i didnt have to spend much doing it myself. other things i noticed is that before you couldnt really tell i had a sub standing outside my car but now u can hear it a lot more from the trunk standing outside, and also my rear view mirror moves up an inch every time the sub hits haha. still gonna add that extra piece though, hopefully it makes it sound even better.

also wanted to get input on this:

pepsifiend69 said:

"double baffle the front for another 3/4 of an inch, and then mount the sub on another round baffle around the rim of the sub for another 3/4"...that should give you enough room, might look a little akward, but it'd probobly work, just make sure you seal it up good."

for someone to get their sub far enough from the port wall, should i do this to make up for the lost volume by the extra thick port wall? or would that not be worth the trouble? thanks for any input.

also wanted to get input on this:
pepsifiend69 said:

"double baffle the front for another 3/4 of an inch, and then mount the sub on another round baffle around the rim of the sub for another 3/4"...that should give you enough room, might look a little akward, but it'd probobly work, just make sure you seal it up good."

for someone to get their sub far enough from the port wall, should i do this to make up for the lost volume by the extra thick port wall? or would that not be worth the trouble? thanks for any input.
I had to shell out and buy some MDF rings, it seems the easiest, but I guess that way would work too.

if your doing it because of the .06cu' extra because of the port, i wouldn't even bother. if you want it for support, which in most case that is what this would be used for, then go ahead. in your situation, i wouldn't bother, spl competing, then i would.

if your doing it because of the .06cu' extra because of the port, i wouldn't even bother. if you want it for support, which in most case that is what this would be used for, then go ahead. in your situation, i wouldn't bother, spl competing, then i would.
thanks for the advice trixter, umm could you verify how you calculated the .06 cu extra? i calculated (10.25+.75)(length) X 14.5(height) X .75(width) and divided by 12 and got 9.97 haha which i have no idea what to do with..if it is just a minimal amount of volume loss and you think its fine then ill just forget about it after making the port widths equal, i just wanted to make sure i got the best sq btw, after trying it out how the box is now im happy with the spl just wanted to make sure it hits the low notes

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.